• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

Also an ad Black-headed Gull with a white ring on right leg with TNMA on it in the same area.
No answer yet as to its origin.

John

The Common Gull was ringed at Wismar Bay on the Baltic coast in 2004. It was noted by R.Porter 2005, E.Myers 2008 and yourself, John, in January of this year.

Keep us updated on the BHG, John.

Cheers,

Kieran

The Common Gull was ringed at Wismar Bay on the Baltic coast in 2004. It was noted by R.Porter 2005, E.Myers 2008 and yourself, John, in January of this year.

Keep us updated on the BHG, John.

Cheers,

Kieran

Have a photo of the gull,but can't remember when I took it,but it's a few years ago_Original not on the computer just have a printed copy.

There has been a darvic ringed Common Gull at Salthouse last couple of days Kieran [/QUOTE said:
Assuming this bird has only just arrived for the winter, it ties in nicely with observations from Sheringham where there has been a steady movement of Common Gulls moving west for most of the latter half of the week, particularly Thursday morning, when there was a constant stream of 300+ per hour. Also good numbers of Eider & Scoter too but the pagers are`nt interested in them either.

Assuming this bird has only just arrived for the winter, it ties in nicely with observations from Sheringham where there has been a steady movement of Common Gulls moving west for most of the latter half of the week, particularly Thursday morning, when there was a constant stream of 300+ per hour. Also good numbers of Eider & Scoter too but the pagers are`nt interested in them either.

Thanks for you comment regarding the Cormrants. Must be plenty of fish in the wash currently. Might attract a Humpback! That would be a very welcome patch tick!

As I'm sure you are aware you can get some very good numbers of moving Eider in November and yesterday I recorded just under 40 past Holme my largest count yet.

Norfolk cavorting...

Morning all,

I trust everyone had a bird-filled and excellent weekend.

I spent most of mine the other side of the border and thought I'd share a couple bits on ere...

Walked Cley to Cromer on Saturday and has super confiding Turnstone at Salthouse then a fly-by Glauc along Cromer beach - see attached.

I also saw the Lyndford Crossbill yesterday - my thoughts on that experience on the Necro... blog. With thanks to the posters on here - I found the Two-barred debate earlier this month super informative :t:

Yours,

Jonny

Attachments

• IMG_8107.jpg
    IMG_8107.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_8119.jpg
    IMG_8119.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 211
Titchwell November 26th

Today's highlights

Snow bunting - 20+ on beach
Avocet - 11 on fresh marsh
Chiffchaff - 3 in carpark area
Cormorant - reserve record 260 on beach and on sea

Paul

Scroby Dick

... Must be plenty of fish in the wash currently. Might attract a Humpback! That would be a very welcome patch tick!

This may not be as unlikely as you think Robert. Speculation suggests the return of shoals of 'Silver Darlings' attracted the Humpback into the southern North Sea. Information from east coast fishermen (published in the EDP) indicates the highest numbers of herring for years, and also alleges a second whale was sighted. To my knowledge it (or they) hasn't been reported recently off the east coast, so maybe it has followed the herring? ...

There's no apparent evidence that the Cormorant movement is storm-related like the recent Shag-fest, and is thus presumably food-related, hence the paucity of local birds noted by Rob. Has anyone noted any sizeable Red-throated Diver movements into the Wash?

Either way, I would keep looking!

Last edited:
Has anyone noted any sizeable Red-throated Diver movements into the Wash?

Yep, we counted > 80 west past Holme between 7.30am and 8.30 am on Friday 15th November, then I had 50+ west there between 8 and 9 last Sunday. As well as the huge nos of Cormorants, I would suggest that healthy nos of Kittiwakes and Rb Mergs are also linked to the abundance of prey species off the NW Coast

Last edited:
PARROT CROSSBILL at Holt Country Park on Saturday 23rd November.

More pictures on my blog.

Penny:girl:

Attachments

• IMG_8045 crop.jpg
    IMG_8045 crop.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 158
Titchwell November 27th

Today's highlights

Snow bunting - 60 on beach but mobile
Black throated diver - 1 offshore
Great Northern diver - 1 offshore
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Long tailed duck - 2 offshore
Little gull - 9 offshore
Water pipit - 1 on grazing meadow pool
Golden plover - 1800 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 12 on fresh marsh

Paul

Don't know whether the news has got through to the pagers yet (as I have nt got one) but there is a HUme's Warbler at HOlkham. It was seen and heard calling near Meals House at 3.30 ish.

Don't know whether the news has got through to the pagers yet (as I have nt got one) but there is a HUme's Warbler at HOlkham. It was seen and heard calling near Meals House at 3.30 ish.

Would be keen for further updates on this. Being Holkham I presume it will be quite hard to see/ covering a big area maybe with a tit flock.

Superb piece of good fortune today at Holkham.

Myself and Geoff Bowen decided to walk down Lady Ann's Drive rather than drive and this small decision got us our find together of the autumn. We were scanning over the fresh marsh for raptors when we picked up a heron flying towards us in a westerly direction which turned out to be a PURPLE HERON - seen earlier over Cley.
It landed just on the other side of the long bank and that was the last we saw of it for a while. I initially identified it as an adult as it seemed to have a strong purple tone to its upperparts but later observations by several other birders, proved it to be more in a state of juvenile plumage. Cracking moment nevertheless and completely off our bird-finding radar for this time of year.

Other highlights on the fresh marsh and in the bay included five Velvet Scoters, four Rock Pipits, Kittiwake, Barn Owl and a hybrid Black Brant X DB Brent Goose.

There was somewhere in the region of 6000 gulls at the southern end of Holkham Park Lake comprising Black-headed, Herring and Common. Surprisingly, not one black-backed Gull could be found among them but there were two nice adult Med Gulls present.

Thousands of Pink-footed Geese over the fresh marsh, entertained visitors in the late afternoon and the sight and sound of these was as impressive and jaw-droppingly magnificent as ever, bringing the days proceedings to a wonderful finale.

Steve.

Last edited:
Great day yesterday. Parrot crossbills first in HCP, common and velvet scoter off Salthouse. Many thanks to the chap who put us on it, if he is on here. Demonstrated all that is good in birding. Where has the little coffee van gone, was desperate for one! Onto Titchwell, what wonderful light on the wildfowl and waders, the golden plover were resplendent and magnificent.

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back