• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (4 Viewers)

Hi Jim,
If I'm honest I dont know what Surlingham looks like, my day off so just went to strump and buck this morn. I imagine that church marsh will be affected by this afternoons tide pretty badly, with water passing over the duck boards near the entrance as well as over the tack by the old church (all cattle were moved to higher ground in time luckily). The new sluice was put in just at the right time so we'll put it to the test to see how well it works once the waters recede.
Long term effects on fen ecology= very bad! the plants, fish, inverts that the fen ecosystem holds are all fresh water species so if saline conditions remain they will die. The tidal broads do have more tolerance as there are frequent saltwater tides so do have more resilience but they can only persist for a short time.

Interestingly the 2008 saline incursion killed a large amount of big pike in the fen, 2 years later bitterns returned to breed feeding on a plethora of small fish (pike food) so every cloud...

Pic of the coast road Salthouse heading west, also little eye salthouse. About an one and a half hrs after high tide there was not much shingle ridge showing in some places.

John

Attachments

• road2 lr.jpg
    road2 lr.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 352
  • salthouse marsh LR.jpg
    salthouse marsh LR.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 335
  • BU2H3881.jpg
    BU2H3881.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 322
View from the end of Old Womans Lane. Many Pochard and other duck on the sea between the coast 'road' and what was the shingle bank

Attachments

• cley.jpg
    cley.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 341
Good to hear stuff on twitter that people are safe. Never underestimate the power of the sea. Great memories of Cley aside, time for the NWT to invest in reserve that is safe from the sea?

Advice please

I am a birder from the Midlands making a family visit to the Norwich area after Christmas and I hope to spend a day at one, or perhaps two, of your reserves. Which place(s) would you recommend? I would like somewhere convenient where I might see a range of birds.

Peter

Few more pics from this morning

Don't normally post photos on here, but under the circumstances...

Coast road at Salthouse, Salthouse beach car park, the remaining hides at Cley, Seal pup swimming on the A149 and the view west from Kelling Hard towards Salthouse & Gramborough.

The remains of North Hide appear to have washed up at Kelling. It was a real mess down there this morning.

Attachments

• P1030572.JPG
    P1030572.JPG
    348.9 KB · Views: 735
  • P1030590.JPG
    P1030590.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 647
  • P1030605.JPG
    P1030605.JPG
    359.7 KB · Views: 1,071
  • P1030630.JPG
    P1030630.JPG
    339.6 KB · Views: 784
  • P1030664.JPG
    P1030664.JPG
    332.5 KB · Views: 681
Titchwell December 6th

Today's highlights

Snow bunting - 100 at Thornham Point
Lapland bunting - 1 west over beach
Avocet - 12 on fresh marsh

Reserve update

At Titchwell, we were very lucky and have largely escaped any significant damage. The new sea walls did their job although we did suffer a small amount of overtopping. Without the coastal project, the reserve probably wouldn't have survived! The beach boardwalk has been destroyed and the dunes have been washed away.

Snettisham didn't escape as well. There is currently no vehicle access as the access bank has been washed away. We don't know when this will be repaired. The reserve will remain closed this weekend while the police have their evacuation order in place.
On the reserve there has been significant damage. The roost hide has been washed into the pits and the sanctuary hide was lifted by the tide and is now pointing in the opposite direction!! The pits are full of water and the shingle bank has been badly eroded.

Paul

Slightly inland, still at least 7 parrot xbills at Holt. They flew overhead from the plantation opposite the wooden structure. My guess would be is that they're staying in that area, plenty of larches and pines down that way. As well as this a single firecrest was amongst a fairly substantial tit flock moving around the pond area. Also had 6 twite in a field near to Roughton.

Hey guys,

We, as all of you must be are still in disbelief at the extent of damage to our coastline, wildlife and people's property. I just wanted to extend an offer of mine and my wife's help in any cleaning up or help people need along the coast in any way whatsoever. If anyone needs, or knows of anyone who needs extra help cleaning up then please inbox me.

Cheers,

Kieran

Last edited:
Just spoke to Alison and Gary Hibberd at Holme NWT. They evacuated last night. All dunes gone up to the barrier behind the Firs House! Pine trees on beach. Water came up to the footpath (edge!) by the 5-bar gate, but didn't quite come over - if it had all the reserves etc would have been flooded. Water came through Golfcourse up to just before the Hun Bridge. The Firs House itself and observatory both ok and were very very lucky! The railway sleepers that have been embedded in the sand just past the toilet block at end of Beach road were re-positioned in front of the entrance to the Firs Road!

This is all so terribly, terribly sad. Looking at Eddie's pictures of Cley on Facebook is heartbreaking.

The sea-watching shelter at The Leas, Sheringham also gone:-C:-C:-C

FULL ACCOUNT ON MY BLOG NOW.

Last edited:
It is with great sadness that I look at the terrible carnage that has happened to my beloved Norfolk. I can't believe that on my next visit I am probably unlikely to recognise the landscape at some of those reserves.

My heart also goes out to those families that have lost everything in Hemsby. Who'd have thought that such damage could have been metered out in one storm surge.

Tragic.

John

Just spoke to Alison and Gary Hibberd at Holme NWT. They evacuated last night. All dunes gone up to the barrier behind the Firs House! Pine trees on beach. Water came up to the footpath (edge!) by the 5-bar gate, but didn't quite come over - if it had all the reserves etc would have been flooded. Water came through Golfcourse up to just before the Hun Bridge. The Firs House itself and observatory both ok and were very very lucky! The railway sleepers that have been embedded in the sand just past the toilet block at end of Beach road were re-positioned in front of the entrance to the Firs Road!

This is all so terribly, terribly sad. Looking at Eddie's pictures of Cley on Facebook is heartbreaking.

The Leas at Sheringham also gone:-C:-C:-C

What a disaster for the Reserves and the private homes along the coastline - I really hope that all is back to normal as soon as possible and the damage mininal.

OH and I have booked a week 23rd - 28th December to visit Norfolk birding. I hope that we still see what is possible to see! :eek!:

Regards
Kathy
x

Gramborough now an island, standing firm against the sea.
Such horrible scenes today. Can honestly say I didn't enjoy photographing it, as captivating as it was.
Some big decisions to be made at Cley reserve I fear, has it reached a stage where it is no longer able to be protected sufficiently? Time will tell I guess....

Attachments

• IMG_8774 edit.jpg
    IMG_8774 edit.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 395

Users who are viewing this thread

Back