• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (47 Viewers)

I could not beleve my eyes this morning. I was talking to one of our foresters when 5 fleggling blue tits poped out of a hole in a fallen tree in a coppice compartment 30 yards away. I would not expect to see young blue tits to be leaving the nest until at least the third week in May. I did see a couple of blue tits nest building back in early March , but to see fledglings this early in the year is unusual to say the least

Stunning Whinchat at Gramborough Hill, Salthouse today and still there late evening as was a male Redstart (tricky to see though!).:t:

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

No more need to talk about the rights and wrongs of photographers

A proper rare bird in Norfolk, the first Whiskered tern of the year in the UK and it's only about 5 miles from Norwich at Rockland Broad. Hoorah.

Seen form later afternoon until 7.25pm then flew NW, keep your eye's peeled, could be anywhere along the river round Norwich tomorrow or beyond.

the first Whiskered tern of the year in the UK and it's only about 5 miles from Norwich at Rockland Broad. Hoorah.

A real cracker too! I'm out and about at Strumpshaw tomorrow so will have that area covered, most likely spot will be Hickling, where they always seem to end up!

Some (proper) record shots on my blog

Titchwell April 25th

Despite the weather there were a few birds seen today although nothing new

Today's highlights

Garganey - drake on fresh marsh but elusive
Red crested pochard - pair on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 3 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover - 2 on fresh marsh
White wagtail - 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

A Turtle Dove at Choseley Barns this evening has managed to escape the guns blazing away in Malta. I hope you have all written to your MEPs www.writetothem.com getting them to exert pressure on the European Commission to take action against the Maltese Government for allowing the barbaric practice of shooting our migrant birds.

Sue

Last edited:
A Turtle Dove at Choseley Barns this evening has managed to escape the guns blazing away in Malta. I hope you have all written to your MEPs www.writetothem.com getting them to exert pressure on the European Commission to take action against the Maltese Government for allowing the barbaric practice of shooting our migrant birds.

Sue

That should be 'mega'd' surely!!!:t::t::t:

Last edited:
Congratulations to Connor, who found the Alpine Accentor this morning at Holme. Quite a patch tick, and more than makes up for slogging it out for little reward last Autumn mate!

Cheers,
Jim.

I hope you are all aware of the efforts of Chris Packham on Malta at the moment to highlight the illegal hunting of migrating birds but as there has been no mention so far I would just like to point out that they are still £6000 short of the target to support a referendum on Malta. You can follow Chris on twitter @ChrisGPackam and use #maltamassacre or donate at http://t.co/fX9jij5OHg
Thanks for looking

See Penny Clarke's post no. 22607, and Sue Bryan's similar entry. Signed, tweeted etc.
A couple of wood sandpiper's flew west this morning at Cley, also several whimbrel also west. Interesting but highly unlikely was an entry in the sightings book of a storm petrel along Old Woman's Lane - it wasn't seen to go under the eaves of any nearby houses, nor looked for.

Regards, (and also well done Connor )

Pat

Last edited:
After what happened to u as regards the Whiskered tern I would say patch fella;-)
Shaky

I know, can't see em all. Fair few Wryneck on east coast today so could be more undiscovered. The Accentor has certainly got me thinking! Still, patch vs coast a nice dilemma to have.

Finally had some Reed Bunting singing well today, always present but I'm concerned numbers are down this year.

With regard to the Malta situation, apparently Chris Packham has been arrested!

Cheers,
Jim.

Congrats Connor for a great find! Shame it didn't hang about, I was ready to rush up North, pushchair toddler n all.
Should be more goodies out there to be found tomorrow, best of luck everyone.

Major spring surprise - ALPINE ACCENTOR

So yesterday was the day when my birding dreams came true, it all came together and I found a completely unexpected MEGA at Holme! A quick peek at the charts and conditions suggested it would be worth an early start and so me and Sophie were on site at about 6.45hrs. Quite a lot of movement early on with a Ring Ouzel west, 3 Tree Pipits, 12 Yellow Wagtails and a few more grounded migrants, especially Whitethroats and Willow Warblers. On reaching the Observatory building, carrying rather too much, I'd put up a bird up off the benches which flew into the pines. I'd only seen it with the naked eye in flight, but it felt different. Over half an hour searching later this monster dropped out of the pines onto the handrail only a few feet away from me. Instantly it dawned on me, ALPINE ACCENTOR and being all alone I decided it was best to take a few pictures! Rather glad I did. It flew back up into the pines after about a minute, at which point I ran, screaming and crying(!), along the east bank to tell Sophie. A search revealed nothing and after closing nets it was time to put the news out. A long search ensued, with more Yellow Wagtails, Redstarts, Ring Ouzels and so on discovered, but there was no sign by dusk.

I never imagined it wouldn't be seen again and I'm still amazed it wasn't. I would dearly have loved to share this bird with everyone. Thoughts especially with all the hardworking locals who didn't get to see it, especially Sophie Barker, Rob Smith, Chris Mills, Penny Clarke and Ray Roche, who've always worked so hard and been so helpful and friendly to me. Thanks to everyone for the congratulations. More photos and a more in-depth finder's account to appear somewhere else very soon. Let's just hope the next one sticks...

Attachments

• 4 small.jpeg
    4 small.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 373
  • 3small.jpeg
    3small.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 5 small.jpeg
    5 small.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread