• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (9 Viewers)

Titchwell March 23rd

Today's highlights

Redwing - big movement this morning, 550 through early morning
Marsh tit - 1 on feeders
Red crested pochard - 3 pairs in reedbed
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Greenshank - 1 on saltmarsh
Red kite - another 5 west over the reserve today
Water pipit - 2 on grazing meadow
Avocet - 47 on tidal pool

Paul

Titchwell March 24th

Today's highlights

Red kite - 2 west over reserve
Water pipit - 1 on grazing meadow
Red crested pochard - 8 in reedbed
Avocet - 52 on reserve
Chiffchaff - 1 singing on East Trail

Paul

Those Lapland Bunting are looking super!

Nice Strumpshaw write up Steve. The Penduline Tit was seen again today, this reserve is surely one of the UKs best sites for this species.

Swallow at Church Marsh Surlingham today. Still plenty of Teal hanging on. Siskin regularly visting the garden in Claxton.

Cheers,
Jim.

Saw my first Swallow this Spring at 11.05am, Burnham Overy Dunes, well chuffed! Ended the day with a Common Crane flying west over Snipe's Marsh, Walsey Hills NOA.

Penny:girl:

This record is a bit late due to PC problems. Single swallow east at Swanton Novers 9am March 24th. Same day inland movement of redwings 100+ in 5 flocks all south west ?

This record is a bit late due to PC problems. Single swallow east at Swanton Novers 9am March 24th. Same day inland movement of redwings 100+ in 5 flocks all south west ?

This morning had 3 flocks of redwings going over about 30 strong each, going also south west.
A few landed in a tree in my garden ,before moving on.

Also had male corn bunting on feeder and resident pair of marsh tits.

Last edited:
Titchwell yesterday evening there was an immature spoonbill briefly on the freshmarsh just before 6pm which flew east. A ringtail hen harrier roosted with at least 9 marsh harrier

Definite movement of small groups of Redwing in North Norfolk over the last 3 days with the occasional Fieldfare flock. Also as noted by brammer, moving in a west or south-westerly direction.

Definite movement of small groups of Redwing in North Norfolk over the last 3 days with the occasional Fieldfare flock. Also as noted by brammer, moving in a west or south-westerly direction.

What's the logic in them going south-west when they should be heading back north-east?

Steve

Out in norfolk today 3 Swallows over Blakeney Marshes today briefly at about 11:30am near the duck pond, Counted max 3 Lapland Bunting today with the meadow pipits and skylark showing very nicely as well. Titchwell saw my first cetti warbler for the year, tide was out but a nice Grey Plover from the hide and a pair of Red-crested Pochard of note.

What I find puzzling in the behaviour in this instance is instead of fleeing the oncoming storm, the birds would appear to be heading into its path.

Getting away from exposed areas is paramount. A few miles in the wrong (migratory) direction is sensible behavior. Fleeing out to sea would be suicide. Birds will even turn back on mid migration when crossing large bodies of water if they hit bad weather.

Last edited:
Just got back from a mainly non birdy weekend in Wells where a House Martin around our cottage this morning seemed fairly early. Had excellent views of at least one Firecrest yesterday in the bushes next to the little pond between Lady Anne's and Wahington hide.

James.

Getting away from exposed areas is paramount. A few miles in the wrong (migratory) direction is sensible behavior. Fleeing out to sea would be suicide. Birds will even turn back on mid migration when crossing large bodies of water if they hit bad weather.

I do not doubt that many bird species have the ability to sense the atmospheric changes which indicate oncoming severe weather conditions. What remains in doubt in my mind is how effectively this information is interpreted and put to use.

I do not doubt that many bird species have the ability to sense the atmospheric changes which indicate oncoming severe weather conditions. What remains in doubt in my mind is how effectively this information is interpreted and put to use.

I would speculate that the behaviour is endogenous, but that the extent is genus- or species-dependent.
MJB

I found Sigma lens cap at Blakeney last week.
If anyone would like to claim it , please pm with size and once confirmed
I will be happy to post it on.
Mick

Titchwell March 30th

Today's highlights

Osprey - birds reported west @ 15:20 & 16:00. Assumed that these refer to different individuals
Greenshank - 1 on tidal pool
Swallow - 1 west
Sand martin - 2 west
Red kite - 1 west
Little ringed plover - 1 on grazing meadow
Med gull - 2 adults on fresh marsh
Peregrine - 1 west

Paul

You answer your own question before asking it. The very fact birds can sense weather stimuli is testament to their ability to interpret and react sufficiently well enough to survive and genetically pass on the innate ability. You should read 'Weather and Bird Behavior' by Norman Elkins.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back