• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

I'm planning a long weekend in Norfolk some time in January. In previous years I have seen twite reliably at Thornham Harbour, but this year I haven't picked up any mention of them. Does anyone local know if they are there this year...

Had 40 or so there a couple weeks back, they'll be there no doubt!

Titchwell January 3rd

Happy New Year to you all, I trust you had a restful festive period and are ready for a bird-filled 2017.

Today's highlights

Hawfinch - a crazy record of 6 flying west over the reserve @ 11:55
Waxwing - 2 west @ 11:20
Long tailed duck - 17 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Goosander - drake west offshore
Jack snipe - 1 on drained pool

Paul

Titchwell January 4th

Today's highlights

Long tailed duck - 20 offshore
Velvet scoter - 20 offshore
Great skua - 1 offshore
Avocet - 13 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 2 on tidal pool

Paul

Titchwell January 5th

Today's highlights

Glaucous gull - 3 individuals on the beach today although generally mobile. One individual did show well feeding on tideline for much of the day
Long tailed duck - 40 offshore
Lapland bunting - 1 over Thornham Marsh
Jack snipe - 1 on drained pool
Water pipit - 1 on drained pool
Great Northern diver - 1 offshore

Paul

Titchwell January 6th

Today's highlights

Glaucous gull - still 2 birds present today
Whooper swan - 16 west @ 15:15
Long tailed duck - 56 offshore
Black throated diver - 1 offshore
Water pipit - 1 on drained pool
Marsh harrier - at least 32 to roost
Spotted redshank - 1 on tidal pool

Paul

Titchwell January 9th

Today;s highlights

Bewick's swan - adult on fresh marsh early am only
Long tailed duck - 68 offshore
Velvet scoter - 20 offshore
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Water pipit - 1 on drained Thornham pool
Avocet - 13 on fresh marsh
Bittern - 1 in flight over reedbed this afternoon

Paul

Titchwell January 10th

Today's highlights

Glaucous gull - 1 feeding on beach this afternoon
Long tailed duck - 28 offshore this morning
Velvet scoter - 22 offshore
Water pipit - at least 2 around the reserve
Firecrest - 1 on Fen Trail
Hen harrier - male hunting over reedbed mid morning
Great skua - 1 offshore
Spotted redshank - 3 on tidal pool

Paul

Titchwell January 11th

Today's highlights

A rather quiet day in increasingly strong winds

Velvet scoter - 6 offshore
Lapwing - 1000 on fresh marsh
Red kite - 1 west over reserve
Bittern - 1 in flight over reedbed

There will be disturbance to the fresh marsh tomorrow while carry out reed cutting around the fringes of the lagoon. The work is likely to take most of the day.

Paul

Titchwell January 12th

Today's highlights

Glaucous gull - 1 on east beach this morning
Red kite - 4 over the reserve this morning
Water pipit - 1 feeding in cut reed area by Island Hide
Greenshank - 1 on tidal pool
Woodcock - 1 showing well in scrub near carpark
Red crested pochard - pair on Patsy's reedbed

Paul

Titchwell January 13th

Today's highlights

Velvet scoter - 12 offshore
Long tailed duck - 2 offshore
Med gull - 1 on beach
Avocet - 10 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 3 on fresh marsh
Herring gull - 829 roosting on fresh marsh
Woodcock - 1 on Fen Trail

Paul

Martin Preston

For those of you who knew my father-in-law Martin Preston - following his unexpected death over Christmas there will be a private family funeral next week. However, if so wished donations can be made to Blyth & Sons Ltd, Cremer Street, Sheringham to be shared between the World Land Trust and the National Ankylosing Spondylitis Society (NASS).

Please message me on here or on twitter (@blicklingben) if any further details are required.

Thanks

Ben

Cley Marshes and Salthouse Reserves - The future?

So, what happens now......about 3 years since the very similar level of flooding and all the fantastic work that's been done since then...

2 new hides / new land / fencing / paths and habitat scrape creation.

So, back to square one and no doubt there will be a significant damage assessment and much discussion amongst the staff at the NWT as to the future ( but looking back to the recent past with hindsight ).

There were and still many valid reasons and thoughts as to the future of this fragile area including new reedbed creation elsewhere and the sea reclaiming some of the marsh ( managed retreat ?) . Some will say, "Told you so, we knew it was a waste of time and money" - I bet they didn't predict the next USA President elect, nor the EU referendum! Having said that, a fair few argued and presented their case and views with much research and mindful knowledge that I couldn't fault but listened to.

It's such a shame, tragedy and at times heart breaking to see the coastline and marshes destroyed so..... the same vista that drew me to come to North Norfolk (Salthouse 2000) and live here.

Reading Penny Clarke's latest picture rich diary entry just hammered home how extensive the surge was along the North Norfolk coast, and so fortunate no-one came to serious harm.

Most humans and certainly the wildlife will adapt to the changes but good luck to all those involved with the desperately difficult task of again rebuilding and protecting the marshes, wildlife and guarding the reserve's future. Maybe Mr Trump will have a few bricks left after he's built his wall, that he could send over here.

Last edited:
For those of you who knew my father-in-law Martin Preston - following his unexpected death over Christmas there will be a private family funeral next week. However, if so wished donations can be made to Blyth & Sons Ltd, Cremer Street, Sheringham to be shared between the World Land Trust and the National Ankylosing Spondylitis Society (NASS).

Please message me on here or on twitter (@blicklingben) if any further details are required.

Thanks

Ben

Ben,

I can't claim to have known your father-in-law well but our paths did cross on several occasions over the years and I always found Martin a pleasant, approachable and helpful man.

As far as I can recall I first met Martin when he gave me (subsequently along with many, many others), the opportunity to see a pallid swift in the hand that was taken into care, and was later successfully released. I also recall other events involving a wryneck with a 'wry' neck, and a great grey shrike, there were doubtless other such events.

Rest assured that birders have very long memories and various events, particularly those involving the pallid swift, will be recounted in conversation for many years to come and Martin will always be part of those memories even to those who did not personally know him.

On behalf of all those birders who benefited from Martin's willingness to share such events, please accept my thanks and commiserations for your sad and sudden loss.

Ben,

I can't claim to have known your father-in-law well but our paths did cross on several occasions over the years and I always found Martin a pleasant, approachable and helpful man.

As far as I can recall I first met Martin when he gave me (subsequently along with many, many others), the opportunity to see a pallid swift in the hand that was taken into care, and was later successfully released. I also recall other events involving a wryneck with a 'wry' neck, and a great grey shrike, there were doubtless other such events.

Rest assured that birders have very long memories and various events, particularly those involving the pallid swift, will be recounted in conversation for many years to come and Martin will always be part of those memories even to those who did not personally know him.

On behalf of all those birders who benefited from Martin's willingness to share such events, please accept my thanks and commiserations for your sad and sudden loss.

Willowgrouse.

Delighted that you have taken the time to prove that this once vibrant forum for discussion and expression of personal opinions is not totally defunct.

I too cannot claim to have been a close friend of Martin and his wife Maureen but whenever our paths crossed, I found them both utterly charming and gentle folk. Maybe not widely known but Martin was a more than capable bird artist.

Can anyone local tell be the best place to view this roof by Howden's Joinery off Burrell Way in Thetford where the gulls seem rather good at the moment? Also, advice on where to park without causing a problem would be appreciated.

Can anyone local tell be the best place to view this roof by Howden's Joinery off Burrell Way in Thetford where the gulls seem rather good at the moment? Also, advice on where to park without causing a problem would be appreciated.

I'm not local but there's a car park fairly central to the town which gives good walking access all over. It also has a bench by the river which you can share with Capt Mainwaring: excellent bacon butties are or were available from Jones' Butchers. I kid you not.

John

Hi.
Burrell way leads to a factory estate in Thetford.

There is a Lidl and Screwfix just before Howden's . Or even a Sainsbury's and ,B&Q across the old Norwich road.

Each one has good parking.

Gull twitching in Thetford

The Thetford gull-fest features in today's EDP.

As mentioned at the end of that article, some local business people are expressing frustration at twitchers parking along roads and standing in driveways / on their grass. If you come to Thetford to look for gulls, please use marked parking bays at e.g. Screwfix or Lidl, and do not park on the road by Thetford Test Centre. Avoid standing in driveways, on the road etc. Sensitivity is the order of the day – regardless what you think about the attitude of these people – and will be appreciated by the local birders who found and flagged up this gull hotspot.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back