• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Dragon/Damselflies reports/news (4 Viewers)

Had a male Red-veined Darter briefly on Beeston Top Common today but no further sign despite searching for an hour or so afterwards, but I'm sure it didn't go far, although the pond there is bone dry.

Also my first Emperor and Common Darters of the year there also, and a few Keeled Skimmers on the main Common.

Simon

Had a male Red-veined Darter briefly on Beeston Top Common today but no further sign despite searching for an hour or so afterwards, but I'm sure it didn't go far, although the pond there is bone dry.

Also my first Emperor and Common Darters of the year there also, and a few Keeled Skimmers on the main Common.

Simon

Hi,where can you park at beeston common,never been there and would love a look round.
Dave

Hi,where can you park at beeston common,never been there and would love a look round.
Dave

There's a large lay-by on the south side of the A149 right by the entrance to the common. (On the right just as you are leaving Sheringham heading eastwards)

The RVD was on the large grassy area overlooked by houses on the north side of the road opposite the west end of the lay-by, and the dried up pool is on the northern side of it. This 'pool' also hosted a RVD last year.

However most of the action is on the main Common on the south side of the A149 accessed from the layby. Keeled Skimmers can be found in the marshy area in the north east corner and various other dragonflies get around the pool, plus numerous butterflies all over the common.

Just a general comment for anyone visiting, this is a fairly fragile site so naturally please keep to the paths of which there are many to assist with viewing the flora and fauna.

Cheers

Simon

Record shot of the Red-veined Darter, a couple of Keeled Skimmer pics and one of the Common Darter attached.

Simon

Attachments

• RVDarter.jpg
    RVDarter.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 90
  • KeeledSkimmer.jpg
    KeeledSkimmer.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 81
  • KeeledSkimmer2.jpg
    KeeledSkimmer2.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 64
  • CommonDarter.jpg
    CommonDarter.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 61
There's a large lay-by on the south side of the A149 right by the entrance to the common. (On the right just as you are leaving Sheringham heading eastwards)

The RVD was on the large grassy area overlooked by houses on the north side of the road opposite the west end of the lay-by, and the dried up pool is on the northern side of it. This 'pool' also hosted a RVD last year.

However most of the action is on the main Common on the south side of the A149 accessed from the layby. Keeled Skimmers can be found in the marshy area in the north east corner and various other dragonflies get around the pool, plus numerous butterflies all over the common.

Just a general comment for anyone visiting, this is a fairly fragile site so naturally please keep to the paths of which there are many to assist with viewing the flora and fauna.

Cheers

Simon
Thanks Simon,will check it out tomorrow.

male Red-veined Darter briefly on Beeston Top Common today but no further sign

No sign of Simon’s Red-veined Darter, yesterday, when I visited.

A photogenic female Broad-bodied Chaser graced the Holt Country Park car park. I had to include the shot with the pink flowers showing through its wings.

The (female) Keeled Skimmer was a long way (about 400m) from the nearest bogginess, adjacent to the parking area off the B1149, at TG 08450 36732.

Is this unusual behaviour ?

Attachments

• 045pse.jpg
    045pse.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 025pse.jpg
    025pse.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 100pse.jpg
    100pse.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 75
Scarce Chasers thankfully not living up to their name and were quite common at Wheatfen yesterday. A single male seen at Surlingham Church Marsh today. Shot of a pair copulating on my blog, for those interested in that sort of thing. Four-spotted Chaser, Black-tailed Skimmer and Norfolk Hawker made up the rest of the larger Odonata species.

Damselflies recorded at Wheatfen: Large Red, Azure, Common Blue, Blue-tailed and Banded Demoiselle. Today over at Church Marsh, Red-eyed were on the lily pads. Lovely stuff.

Are people seeing Emeralds yet?

What habitat do Variable Damselfy favour? I wonder if I am overlooking them when scanning through Common Blue/Azure Blue.

Cheers,
Jim.

What habitat do Variable Damselfy favour? I wonder if I am overlooking them when scanning through Common Blue/Azure Blue.

Cheers,
Jim.

I had my first in Strumpshaw meadows last Thursday so should be out in number by next weekend, also plenty of variables along the meadow trail too. I think they like long grassy veg near to ditches rather than pools from my experience. The key features to look for are the dark cap caused by lack of complete antihumeral stripes and the darker blue hue, more a rich purple-blue than sky blue of the azures. Good luck!

Scarce Chasers thankfully not living up to their name and were quite common at Wheatfen yesterday. A single male seen at Surlingham Church Marsh today. Shot of a pair copulating on my blog, for those interested in that sort of thing. Four-spotted Chaser, Black-tailed Skimmer and Norfolk Hawker made up the rest of the larger Odonata species.

Damselflies recorded at Wheatfen: Large Red, Azure, Common Blue, Blue-tailed and Banded Demoiselle. Today over at Church Marsh, Red-eyed were on the lily pads. Lovely stuff.

Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jim
Variables were out in force on our marshes on most of the dykes this morning, Azures too but these were more localised. There was also a single Emerald. Also plenty of Norfolk Hawkers and a couple of late Hairys. PM me if you want to visit any time

Thanks all for the Variable advice. Notice the capital V there; I actually found the advice consistently good!
Alison- I will be in touch soon, would love to look round the marshes again.

Cheers,
Jim.

FOYs

Saw a few personal first of year sightings this afternoon.

Spotted my first Common Darter of the year at Horsham St Faiths today. There were plenty of mating Azure Damsels, several Large Red Damsels and a couple of Four Spotted in the crematorium pond.

Also, saw my FOY Southern Hawker at the gardens in East Ruston. Also present were 1-2 Male Emperors, 2 Four Spotted Chasers, 1 male Broad Bodied Chaser, 1 Black Tailed Skimmer, 1 Brown Hawker and more mating Azure Damsels.

Hopefully, there will be plenty of Darters and Hawkers around soon.

Also at East Ruston, I spied my FOY Cinnabar Moth. (Wrong thread, Sorry) Small Tortoiseshells were the most numerous butterfly, followed by Meadow Browns and Ringlets. There were individuals of Large Skipper and Red Admiral as well.

Cheers

Steve

Dragonfly and Damselfly species recorded at Wood Green near Long Stratton today were Emperor (4) Four-spotted Chaser (12) Common Darter (20) Ruddy Darter (3) Brown Hawker, Azure (many) Common, Blue-tailed (15) Emerald (7) and Large Red.

Black Darters, Dersingham Bog

Visitied Dersingham Bog this afternoon with Connor Rand looking for Black Darter in what was at first an overcast day but turned into a scorcher and a retreat to the pub. We found about 5 in total along with Emperor, Four-spot & Broad bodied Chaser, Emerald Damselfly, Large Red, Blue-tailed and Azure.

A Purple Hairstreak was in the top of the Oaks by the stairs, Round-leaved Sundew was abundant in any boggy area as well as Bog Asphodel.

Strumpshaw Fen

Saw 4 Scarce Chasers at Strumpshaw Fen yesterday afternoon (at one of the dykes along the river path). 2 males were mating with a couple of old females (judging by their brown colouring). Hopefully these Dragonflies will continue to spread into the Northern Broads.

There were plenty of dragonflies about. However all I could positively identify were 3 Norfolk Hawkers, several Brown Hawkers, 4 Common Darter, 2 Four Spotted Chasers, several Emerald damselfly, 5 Black tailed Skimmer, 10+ Blue Tailed Damsels, several Common Blue Damsels and lots of Azure Damsels.

Red Eyed and Variable Damsels had also been reported but not seen by me.

Bird life was fairly quiet but still managed to see a Marsh Harrier food pass, 1 Hobby, 1 Water Rail and 2 Kingfisher.

Cheers

Steve

Ringland Hills TG1212

Lunchtime walk

Good numbers of southern hawkers, some 'buzzing' around me along track west from Ringland Hills

Unexpectedly along the field edge south of the parking area, a banded demoiselle heading purposefully north, well away from any water, presumed common blue damselfly (rather than azure) and a perched female black-tailed skimmer

That's interesting. I saw a male banded in the car park at work yesterday, followed by another crossing the railway line at the back of St Andrews business park. Both flying purposefully North and presumably from Thorpe marshes . Co-incidence or a dispersal mechanism where populations are high?
Glad you saw Southern I was just thinking how few I'd seen so far this year.

There has been a recent emergence of Banded Demoiselles in Norwich in the past few days, I have been seeing them near the Jarrold Bridge and just west of Whitefriars Bridge, with Common Blue or Azure also at the latter area.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back