• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Peru companies and timing (1 Viewer)

jurek

Hi,
Is January-February a good time to visit North Peru (Marvelous Spatuletail circuit).
Who can recommend a good company organizing private trips?
Are Spectacled Bear and Mountain Tapir likely to be seen in the area?

only had 1 short 9 day private trip to the region in April 2022 so can’t comment on February, but would recommend the company we used, kolibri expeditions. We based our tour around their 5 day tarapoto to jaen trip, which is too short imo. We added an extra day to this (maybe 1-3 best added), plus 2 days extension to Chiclayo (3 probably better)

The email replies may not have been as quick as we are used to at times, but itinerary, guide, driver, accommodation, dealing with last minute problems thrown at us by airlines at both ends of the trip etc, were all excellent.

Green Tours ( https://greentours.com.pe/ ) are based in Cajamarca and offer custom North Peru tours. it will be rainy season so that may be a factor. I believe the male Spatuletails get their long tail feathers in ~Sept/October so I suspect will still be in full breeding plumage in the time you're considering (?).

We saw Spectacled Bear at Chaparri Ecolodge, they do rehab/re-introductions there and this was a "wild" (unknown whether it was a re-introduced bear or not) one attracted to their rehab enclosure and the bear within it. So, perhaps not the natural sighting you may be after.

I am doing whirlwind solo trip using buses or other public transport so I am looking for a guide for a day of birding in Celendin and a day of birding in Tarapoto. I also plan a night at Owlet Lodge and day visit to Huembo, I am assuming the lodges have in-house guides?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back