• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Parula or Cerulean Warbler song. June 17, Ohio (1 Viewer)

qwerty5

Controversial opinion generator
United States
In the field I thought Northern Parula, but listened to it again this morning and am unsure. It certainly isn't the typical alternate song of NOPA, but doesn't sound right for CERW either. It was singing quite close to a definite NOPA for a while with no interaction. Merlin says NOPA, but that doesn't mean much.
Recording here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S141804918

I agree with Northern Parula, and I also think your Chipping Sparrow/Worm-eating Warbler sounds good for Worm-eating, faster-paced and 'drier' sounding than a Chipping Sparrows. Plus the species in the background (Louisiana Waterthrush, Acadian Flycatcher, Ovenbird etc) indicate that the habitat was probably better for Worm-eating.

I agree with Northern Parula, and I also think your Chipping Sparrow/Worm-eating Warbler sounds good for Worm-eating, faster-paced and 'drier' sounding than a Chipping Sparrows. Plus the species in the background (Louisiana Waterthrush, Acadian Flycatcher, Ovenbird etc) indicate that the habitat was probably better for Worm-eating.
Thanks, I agree the CHSP/WEWA sounds good for Worm-eating, but they are very rare in this area, particularly as a breeder. Since I never got a visual I can't be sure of the species. There was a picnic area 500 ft away, so it could have been a CHSP straying into the woods a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back