• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Not a Sedge Warbler, today, Central Poland (1 Viewer)

That's an acrocephalus warbler...
Yes, I know (it's literally got 'Reed Warbler' in its name)--my bird was also brown overall (doesn't make it an Acrocephalus, but why consider only Phylloscopus). Reed warblers were tentatively considered by me as you can see above.

Last edited:
Reed Warbler (much more probable than the alternative) could be a better match on call (?) and colouration.

Last edited:
Looks like an Acro to me. Either Blyth’s Reed or Reed Warbler. Probably will never get a definitive answer on these shots, no offence intended.

Could you please break down the features that make it a reed warbler over a leaf warbler in your opinion so I know what to look for and which ones from those listed above by myself (colour, bill, wing pattern, head pattern?, call) are pro-Acro if any?

EDIT: And, yes, I need to start carrying a decent camera with me.

Could you please break down the features that make it a reed warbler over a leaf warbler in your opinion so I know what to look for and which ones from those listed above by myself (colour, bill, wing pattern, head pattern?, call) are pro-Acro if any?
The features that lean me in that direction is the overall brownish tones (on my monitor at least), the warm flank and breast colouration, and the long under tail coverts. Also the call.

I see nothing to exclude Chiffchaff in these photographs.

Which part of Poland? At least here in Lithuania, Chiffchaff is also just about the only warbler that has already arrived back in numbers.

Some 20 km from Warsaw. Great Reed and Sedge uncommon (orange dot with a white top) in eBird, Common Reed rare (red dot) in eBird, but it doesn't force me to write a comment (not a white-R-in-an-orange-square type rarity). All others would be proper eBird rarities.

Thanks for the features--I tried to do something with the undertail coverts myself, but to no avail.

EDIT: With regard to leaf warblers, apart from Chiffchaffs, I've heard a singing Willow Warbler in central Eastern Poland.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back