• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

November 20th 2004 in Mudeford Harbour. (1 Viewer)

Nina P

Nina
November 20th in Mudeford Harbour - 2004

Today it was sleeting and really miserable weather and we almost never set out! Well as we were together perhaps we should just bird from the car, so Trish and I sat watching the birds from the car but we needed to get nearer the water, so we set up close to the Dingy park as the water is closest there, and the tide was well out, but there were plenty of Starlings flying about and the Black headed Gull were ever present, but a few Oyster Catchers were also parading over the grassy area. Mallards and swans of course were also there, but then we spotted something different, so what was it? Not the ususal Redshanks, so we had to look them up, we think they were Dunlin, very skittish and often flitting off just as you got them in focus, but that is what we eventually decided they were, then the Redshank appeared, that one we knew but conditions were not very nice trying to ID through windscreen wipers and Hand held scope! The there were a flock of little birds, now what were they? there was a car pulled up next to us and they were so noisy and kept slamming their doors so the birds were upeed so ofte it was becoming frustrating and then a crowd of four screaming kids upped them and the tide was really coming in now, were we ever going to identify these tiny little birds? then suddenly an Egret appeared, this was definately a Little Egret, and more Redshank, and a few Dunlin, then we got the ID of Little Stints just beating the tide for possibly ragworm and Coot. We were finally getting there, the Little Stints were coming in closer and ignoring the people about as not much sandy mud left, and the Pied wagtails joined in on the shore line. Trish got some rather nice shots of Oyster catcher and a small group of birds on the shore, I hope she will add them to this thread, just to show we work quite well together. My shots are awful as usual, but I'll add one just to show how bad they are!

Attachments

• Sleety November Birdwatch.JPG
    Sleety November Birdwatch.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 147
Nina,

I'd be quite happy with that...Redshank, Dunlin, Little Stint, souns good to me.

The weather here was nicer, grey but pleasantly cold.

Rob

Mudeford with Nina P

Helllo hope someone can help. We are new to Seabirds and Waders and not certain about these birds. We think they are little Stints, would that be right? Hope the picture appears, I havnt done this before, I know ID will be a bit difficult without it!

Attachments

• mudeford in the rain 00002.JPG
    mudeford in the rain 00002.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 136
No one seems to want to verify what we believe to be Little Stints, from your picture Trish, that is a shame, perhaps we'll have better luck from the new place tomorrow?

Try posting the picture in Bird Identification ..people seem to respond there!
Sorry I cant help you apart from knowledge out of a field guide on these (about as good as no help!)

eagle

Last edited:
Eagle said:
Try posting the picture in Bird Identification ..people seem to respond there!
Sorry I cant help you apart from knowledge out of a field guide on these (about as good as no help!)

eagle
I ID'd them from a book too, just wondered if anyone else could do better, that was all! I am fairly certain Little Stint is what they are but as novices we did hope someone would be interested in helping, so anyone could have a go just for fun. as we could be well off the mark too!Never mind!

Hi, I know Its small unfortunately. the black bird is a Coot, they were very tiny birds, much smaller than oystercatchers. Its those little birds we are trying to ID.

trishhickson said:
Hi, I know Its small unfortunately. the black bird is a Coot, they were very tiny birds, much smaller than oystercatchers. Its those little birds we are trying to ID.
What colour?They don't look Little Stint colour but its difficult to se

Eagle

They were white underneath, and lightish brown on top. IT WAS A vile day though, and we didnt get a really good look. Maybe we will just have to wait for a better chance to look at them properly.

trishhickson said:
They were white underneath, and lightish brown on top. IT WAS A vile day though, and we didnt get a really good look. Maybe we will just have to wait for a better chance to look at them properly.
They're Dunlin! Still pretty little birds, though!

Darrenom said:
Erm? I see what appear to be Oystercatchers. Where are we looking?
I was looking at the wrong picture.....just noticed the second thumbnail! Sorry Nina and Trisha, I thought I was going MAD trying to turn those Oyc's into something else!

My apologies! Dunlin for me too!

Yours, v. embarrassed!

Darrenom said:
I was looking at the wrong picture.....just noticed the second thumbnail! Sorry Nina and Trisha, I thought I was going MAD trying to turn those Oyc's into something else!

My apologies! Dunlin for me too!

Yours, v. embarrassed!

ROFLMAO @ Darren

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back