• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Numida meleagris sabyi Hartert, 1919 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Numida meleagris sabyi Hartert, 1919 OD here
in honour of its discoverer, Paul Saby.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims
Saby's Helmeted Guineafowl Numida meleagris sabyi Hartert, 1919 [Alt. Helmeted Guineafowl ssp.]
Lieutenant Paul Saby (DNF) was a French Inspector of Forests in Algeria (1905). He became a professional collector, taking the guineafowl holotype in Morocco for Rothschild (q.v.).

The Key to Scientific Names
Lt. Paul Saby (fl. 1905) French Inspector of Forests in Algeria 1905 (‡subsp. Numida meleagris).

Here I think the announcement of the death of his wife.

Paul Joseph Saby was born in 1860 probably in Toulon, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France

He married Marie Lune Maurand on 21 Feb 1886 in Paris and Adele Martin (probably in Algers) sometime after.

His parents were:

Felix Barthelemy SABY 1824-1876
Anne Honorine ANDRAN 1832-1874

He was stationmaster Mateur, Tunisia in 1905.

He was appointed French Inspector of Forests in Azazga, Algeria in 1919. He was in Djelfa in 1914 (not sure what role).

I do not have a date of decease.

Marriage here p. 31 of 31 tells us born 2 Jan 1860 in Toulon.
Birth here, 50/512 (if the link does not persist, search from here, Commune: Toulon (Var, France); Période de: 1860, à: 1860; Types d'actes: Naissances).

2 Jan 1860 indeed ("le jourd'hier" on the "trois janvier, an mil huit cent soixante").

He married Marie Lucie Maurand on 23 Mar 1886 in Paris (21 Feb was the first publication of banns), but they divorced on 7 Jun 1890 (Constantine, Algeria; see addition in the margin of the marriage record); he re-married Marie Ernestine Marho, in Guelma, Algeria, on 22 Dec 1908 (see addition in the margin of the birth record). Maybe there was an Adèle Martin in between but she is not cited in these documents.

His mother's maiden name is Andrau in the birth record (I can't tell if the last letter is u or n in the marriage record).

Last edited:
Sad story of a bird form which is distinctive, at the doorsteps of Europe, could be easily protected - and was allowed to go extinct.

OK. :)
Adèle Martin on 4 Feb 1891, also in Guelma, thus.

The third marriage, on 22 Dec 1908 in Guelma, is then the last record (pp. 34-35) here.
But the bride's name was apparently corrupted in the birth record where I took it above, as here she is Marie Ernestine Maître, not Marho.

Adèle Martin had passed away on 13 Nov 1905, thus he was a widower at this point.

Last edited:
Great finds - So in the last marriage certificate, he is the interim chief guard of the Bone to Guelma railroad??

Also (yes I know it's a bit irrelevant but I am intrigued). Was Marie Ernestine Maître nee Hellermann (i.e previously married) and if so was her father the late Jean Baptiste Auguste Hellermann or is it Jean Baptiste Huguote??

By 7 August 1927 after several promotions he is "Inspecteur de caux et forêts" in the woody town of Avallon in the Yonne department in Bourgogne-Franche-Comté in central-eastern France.

In 30 November 1939 he is back in Algeria as "Inspecteur de caux et forêts" in Azazga, Algeria.

Note that he would have been 79 at this time!!

Note also that that Régime de Vichy became the rulers of Algeria on 10 May 1940 until November 8, 1942 when Dwight D. Eisenhower and the boys turned up so records become a bit patchy...

Last edited:
Incidentally: I'm not sure why both the Eponym Dictionary and the Key cite the date of 1905 in association to Saby.
In the OD, 1905 was when Meade-Waldo published an account in Ibis, reporting that he had heard guineafowl calls in Morocco.
The holotype was apparently collected by Saby in Feb 1919, see https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/18224091.pdf , p. 297.

He obviously got out of North Africa in time! as in Feb 1942 he was appointed Inspecteur des Forets (1st Class) in Niort - Deux-Sèvres.

At last he died (I assume) 1 Sept 1944 (attached) I think in Paris.

Able to confirm that this is all the same guy as Vertnet records Numida meleagris sabyi collected by Paul Saby in Morocco in 1919 (but nothing earlier), 15 birds collected by Saby from Azazga in 1921, and later 3 Perdix collected (held in MNHN) in 1933 from Yonne (see post #9) all by Paul Saby.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Don't we actually have two persons mixed in the above ?

Although the stationmaster was clearly named "Paul Joseph", the forest inspector is in fact consistently called "Joseph Paul" in official publications announcing his promotions, etc.
Here, Joseph Paul Saby is listed among among 20 students who had graduated from the institut national argonomique and were accepted as students in the école nationale des eaux et forêts in July 1906. At this time, the stationmaster was already in Guelma, Algeria, where he had lost his second wife less than a year earlier; and he was probably too old to be a student in these schools anyway.

Good point BUT the "Paul" Saby that collected in Morocco and Algeria and Yonne was undoubtedly the one called "Joseph-Paul" in official records. He may have been born later than 1860 and I assume been unmarried but everything else is right.

Looks good. "Xertingny" is a typo for Xertigny and 1881 does not appear correct.

Here : b. Xertigny, Vosges, 19 Mar 1885; d. Longuyon, Meurthe-et-Moselle, 7 Jan 1967.

(The Turkish site says that he graduated in 1909 from the "Nancy Forest School" (= École nationale des eaux et forêts in Nancy, where he was accepted as a student in 1906, see above; compare also the uniform on the Turkish picture and Wikipedia page). He then worked in French forestry administration for a time, before being assigned to the Algerian forestry administration. He went to Turkey as a technical consultant in forestry in 1925; he left in 1926. He subsequently worked at various positions in the French forestry administration, before retiring in 1942.)

Last edited:
However we do know that he retired about 1942 and lost his pension for some reason in 1944. I had assume death but perhaps because he worked for Vichy??

I had assume death but perhaps because he worked for Vichy??
He lost his pension "par arrêté", i.e., by decree -- I doubt a decree was normally needed to end the pension of a deceased person, thus I presume another reason must have existed.
I guess this may have been a consequence of things he did during the war, and the date would be consistent with this, but I can't tell for sure.

(Of course, given his position before his retirement, he probably worked de facto -- as any civil servant in France at that moment -- for Vichy, which assumed the civil administration of the country.)

Last edited:
I guess this may have been a consequence of things he did during the war, and the date would be consistent with this, but I can't tell for sure.
There might be an explanaition. If you look e.g. here 11 of 31 No 995 you can see that the death for this lady might be registered between 2 and 5 August. But she died 20 July 1945. All this records are indicated by Transcription. In case of Joseph Paul Saby the death might be registered 4. August 1945 but in fact he died 4. September 1944. Therefore the pension ended earlier than the death was formaly registered by a formal act. But this is just my theory. The ones I checked for 1945 contains a lot of thisTranscriptions.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back