• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings from SW France (1 Viewer)

Discerning1

France
Hi,

I've joined today primarily to get help on how to get my vintage Leitz binoculars repaired.
I see there is a good outfit in the USA--but as I am in France, hoping perhaps someone in Germany or France does a good job too.

The Tarn Department (east of Toulouse) has a wonderful variety of birds.
Every year kestrels (falco tinnunculus) nest in the attic box-window opening.
We have hoopoes and golden orioles (I can hear one now! Beautiful song but so shy, rarely seen!).

This year the bird feeders have attracted collared doves for the first time.
The usual visitors are nuthatches, goldfinch (seasonal), blue and great tits, sparrows and the occasional hawfinch or green finch.
Even the woodpecker visits the feeding station.
There are Jays and crows bullying the others, and getting driven off by the kestrels.
I haven't heard a cuckoo yet.
Normally there are nightingales too.
Owls used to be much more common.
In the cow pasture behind our house we see many small white egrets who follow the cattle around.

Nonetheless, I'm concerned by the general diminishing quantity of birds seen.
Our garden is organic, but the French countryside around me is mainly cultivated fields of garlic, sunflowers, maize, grains--and definitely NOT organic.

I'm curious about what people here think about feeding birds year-round--rather than stopping in summer.

Oh, and I have two beautiful Wyandotte chickens--Peggy and Penny.

Attachments

• IMG_6210.jpeg
    IMG_6210.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3242.jpeg
    IMG_3242.jpeg
    639.3 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I feed the birds all year round.

Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. I don’t see a group for Leitz in the Binocular area, someone will probably be able to help if you post in this forum:

Nice shot of the Hoopoe! And in my opinion there is nothing wrong with feeding birds year round.

Hello- I saw your post. I'm new here also.
I will be in the south of France in July- mostly near Arles and the Camargue, but we are flying out of Toulouse to Dublin on July 15. Any recommendations on best places to bird or possibly even a guide in the Camargue area?

Hi Discerning and a warm welcome from me too. I'm another who feeds the birds all year and they really seem very grateful.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back