• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ochraceous Pewee or Tufted Flycatcher - Costa Rica 25/02 (1 Viewer)

Jonny721

Pictures 1 and 2 show a pewee spotted on the trails at Savegre a couple of days ago. Difficult viewing and photos in the dark understory are my excuses for the poor photos, apologies. The bill looks relatively large in the second photo but it is a hard feature to gauge with no direct comparision. I did not note it as being a particularly large bird in the field, though again this was difficult with no comparison. I did see a definite Tufted later on for comparison (pic 3). Understand if it cannot be ID'd definitively from these pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.JPG
    IMG_0173.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0229.JPG
    IMG_0229.JPG
    419.6 KB · Views: 14
I think it's the pewee although I struggle to give definitive criteria. The bill looks larger (shame we can't see the hook), I think the underpart pattern is slightly different to tufted (although this varies), all dark head/face is better for pewee, esp. the dark nape (as we can see by comparing to your tufted photo).

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back