• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd Insect South East England (1 Viewer)

ashrich

Registered , should be certified .......
England
Hello everyone , anyone got any ideas as to what this charming chap is , second photo has been turned 180 degrees and cropped . It was found on a Daphne shrub in Maidenhead last Thursday . I have only just been given the photos so wasn't able to post before .

Thanks , Ashley

Attachments

• Dscf0008cropped.jpg
    Dscf0008cropped.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Dscf0009turned&cropped.jpg
    Dscf0009turned&cropped.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 95
It looks like a Bee Fly - Bombylius major
It has a long rigid proboscis for nectar feeding while hovering and long spindly legs. A true fly they are very agile and makes a whining noise when flying. The female scatters eggs while flying and the larvae try to find a mining bee nest where they feed on the bee larvae.
There are quite a few fly species which mimic bees and wasps to try and avoid becoming an easy meal. Some moths also mimic bees and hornets.
Good capture

Thanks for that Allan , I can't say I have seen one of these before , it really looks weird .
My sister took the photo , she phoned me to say she had this odd " thing " in the garden , I ended up giving her a quick lesson on how to use the macro facility on the digital camera I had just given her ( Fuji FP2600 ) , she's never had one before so I reckon she did a good job

. Picture 2 has been rotated 180 degrees so it is upside down , but it shows the proboscis really well , as well as the spindly legs . Pic 1 although overexposed , does show the fabulous wing structure .

Ashley

They are beautiful Ashley, I always think of the possibility of having luck at finding them when the Orangetip Butterflies first emerge, not often disappointed either!

You won't forget that little beauty (usually a fair bit darker, though yours is possibly due to the photo) in a hurry and good luck with finding one again next year!

Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back