• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd mallard from river Lech / Austria (1 Viewer)

atgero

Austria
Hello all,

this female duck I can't really come to terms with. It has been present in a group of mallards (~ 20 birds) for the last couple of months.

Picture from autumn last year
Fem-01.png

picture from yesterday
Fem-02.png

It is on the smaller side for a mallard. The most distinctive feature is the green specullum.
The rather open facial expression and the dark bill with orange patches at the base remind me somewhat of a teal.
The legs are rather dull orange-yellow. Otherwise it looks like a typical mallard.

During feeding the bird is continuously harassed by the more typical mallards.

The group is regularly visited by a drake Mallard / Pintail hybrid which is also harassed by the typical Mallards.

Hybrid-01.png

Could the female bird in question be a female Mallard / Pintail hybrid (supposedly sibling of the drake) or even a second generation hybrid fathered by the drake hybrid?

Does anyone feel tempted to comment?

Kind regards from Austria
Gerald

By the way this is what a drake Mallard / Pintail hybrid looks like in eclipse plumage:

Hybrid-02.png

Yes, I think the female bird has indeed Northern pintail genes.

As first generation female hybrids between the two species in several cases I know had a greyer ground color of the bill, I am wondering if this bird could be a backcross of as hybrid Northern pintail x Mallard to Mallard.

here are some female birds which are most likely first generation hybrids Northern Pintail x Mallard:

Bemerkung zur Beobachtung - www.ornitho.de

But as hybrids in general tend to be more variable than pure species , it may well be a first generation hybrid

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back