• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd Wheatear on Paphos last week? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Came across this bird at the Architectural Ruin on the headland, it did look odd…ie being particularly dark, more so than ye’r average female/imm type Eastern Black-eared Wheatear.
As far as the images are concerned, it was unfortunate that I was always following it into the sun.
That said, above the seemingly all dark tail there was a band of grey, which I thought odd, also the flanks had a “rusty” wash seemingly at odds to EBEW, further, I noted the pp seemed long, which would be a better fit for the default EBEW and rule out anything of an Eastern promise that I’m aware of?

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC02879.jpeg   BEW.01..jpeg
    DSC02879.jpeg BEW.01..jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC02875.jpeg    BEW3..jpeg
    DSC02875.jpeg BEW3..jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC02870.jpeg    BEW.4..jpeg
    DSC02870.jpeg BEW.4..jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC02865.jpeg    BEW.5..jpeg
    DSC02865.jpeg BEW.5..jpeg
    367.3 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC02864.jpeg   BEW.6..jpeg
    DSC02864.jpeg BEW.6..jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC02844.jpeg    BEW.9..jpeg
    DSC02844.jpeg BEW.9..jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 135
I would think that you would be better placed than most, to have the necessary exposure to the variable plumages of Cyp.Pied Andy.

Many thanks👍
First time I've seen this plumage, I'd have expected them all to have moulted before migrating?

That's what I considered after Butty's comment but is the undertail pattern ( image 5 ) conclusive? Timing is about right although getting late.
Closed tails in most wheatears appear completely black, a common pitfall. Just have a look at pics with males, you can see black tails both from above and below.

Closed tails in most wheatears appear completely black, a common pitfall. Just have a look at pics with males, you can see black tails both from above and below.
In at least one shot, you can see the white, outer edge to the outermost, tail feather.

I did wonder about Pied but opted for the most common.

For me this is a female Finsch's Wheatear. They are the only ones that are this dark. Both female Black-eared and female Pied would be less dark and the former certainly would appear more brown. It is not a Cyprus Wheatear. I've also checked the photos of female Finsch's in Svensson and Shirihai, this bird is almost identical to them.

Last edited:
The primaries are too long. In my opinion.

That might be subjective, as looking on line the images appear to perhaps look a touch longer than they do in the Collins illustrations.
I note that the images of Finsch’s on line look extremely compelling to my eye, apart from the bird being “very dark” also showing rusty flanks, don’t know if that might be an exclusive feature of Finsch’s amongst others.

That might be subjective, as looking on line the images appear to perhaps look a touch longer than they do in the Collins illustrations.
I note that the images of Finsch’s on line look extremely compelling to my eye, apart from the bird being “very dark” also showing rusty flanks, don’t know if that might be an exclusive feature of Finsch’s amongst others.
Did it exhibit any 'bowing' or tail cocking as described in Helm?

For context Pied would be the rare option for Cyprus with only three accepted records. Cyprus is very common obviously but the photos do not fit that species. Finschs is a localised winter visitor and scarce passage migrant. For me these photos show a female Finschs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back