• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd Wheatear on Paphos last week? (1 Viewer)

It might be the quality of the photos but this doesn't strike me as Finsch's. As already mentioned the pp looks too long and the tail band apparently gets broader at either side.
Plus Finsch’s always strike me as a chunky ‘bruiser’ of a wheatear sp, so Ken’s bird would appear to be a Pied ……

Given that Jane, the bird recorder for Cyprus with much experience of wintering Finsch's and other Wheatear species, has commented against a Pied, this one will take some further details if submitted.

Given that Jane, the bird recorder for Cyprus with much experience of wintering Finsch's and other Wheatear species, has commented against a Pied, this one will take some further details if submitted.
Not if the recorder has already ID'd it!

Not if the recorder has already ID'd it!
Not strictly true. Anyone who feels they had a rarity here is obviously entitled to submit the details to the Cyprus Rare Birds Committee. The decision will be based on the evidence submitted by the finder and considered by the full committee. A unanimous decision is a requirement for first records. A majority decision can be accepted for other records if appropriate. For clarity too I retired as recorder at the end of 2023 but am still the Chair of the Cyprus Rare Birds Committee :)

Not strictly true. Anyone who feels they had a rarity here is obviously entitled to submit the details to the Cyprus Rare Birds Committee. The decision will be based on the evidence submitted by the finder and considered by the full committee. A unanimous decision is a requirement for first records. A majority decision can be accepted for other records if appropriate. For clarity too I retired as recorder at the end of 2023 but am still the Chair of the Cyprus Rare Birds Committee :)
I've never, knowingly met you but I had a feeling it was you as you wrote with such authority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back