• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oenanthe hispanica (?) (Central Spain) (1 Viewer)

SLopezM

Sergio López Martín
Hello again! I saw this bird yesterday in Guadalajara (Spain). There were several northern wheatears (Oenanthe oenanthe) in the area, but I believe this specimen was a western black-eared wheatear (Oenanthe hispanica). What do you think?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    638.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 60
Hi, In the same specific area: around the Beleña lagoons, two weeks ago we saw this other specimen that, in that case, we did identify as a juvenile northern wheatear.

This past observation, added to the presence of other northern wheatears, are the reason for our doubts regarding yesterday's observation. Anyway, checking the pictures, It looks diferent to us: chest color extension; mask, coverts color

Thanks in advance

Collalba Gris juvenil 110881(1).JPGC ollalba Gris 110878.JPG

Hello Sergio,

do the two pictures in your post show the same bird?

While I agree with you, Vergan and JL, that the first picture shows a Western Black-eared Wheatear, the second one looks different (head pattern, olive tinged brownish mantle) and is a Northern Wheatear imo.

And I agree with you all, that the bird in the second post is a Northern Wheatear. Date excludes a juvenile bird, or do you mean its a 2cy bird?
Then I am out and hope for more comments. Thanks!

No offence and no pedantic intensions you know!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back