• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oh no, not another Mallard hybrid? (1 Viewer)

Fulmar

While organizing some old holiday slides (and looking if I couldn't find any birds to add to my tick-list!) I came across the enclosed one. It was made in a Lake Mead marina near Boulder City, Nevada, USA in the middle of September 1980. I assumed them to be more or less domestic-hybridized Mallards (by the way, the white and domestic-hybridized Mallards are officially called Soup Ducks (translated) in the Netherlands for reporting, and the hybrid Geese as Soup Geese).

However, on taking a closer look there are two with dark bills which variation I cannot find in my (limited) resources. Are these hybrids with another species?

To see them better I will add two blow-ups as well. I look forward to your comment on these.

(and the American Coot in the picture gave me a new lifer after 23 years!).

TIA,
Peter

Attachments

• anapla1-0720s-3.jpg
    anapla1-0720s-3.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 314
Hi Peter, they're certainly all hybrids, but what their exact parentage is I will leave to others to discuss.

All farmyard breed Mallards (except for the American Coot!!). Technically, they are not hybrids, as hybrid means two species are involved, and these are just farm selections of Mallard with no other species involved.

Soup Ducks . . . .I like it!!

Michael

Thanks for enlightening me on that Michael. I had always thought that the offspring of a wild Mallard paired with a forma domestica Mallard were also called hybrids!

Peter

Charles, Alan,

To explain the presence of the fish: people were feeding the ducks and the fish, and all of them were trying to get a piece in one big feeding frenzy. The fish were trying to reach as far out of the water as they could with their mouths wide open, you could almost look straight into their stomach! It was quite hilarious to see that at some stage the ducks were literally walking on the fish!

A few additional photos are included.

Peter

Attachments

• fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 211
Dear Peter,

Remarkable. I have never seen anything like that that before.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Regards.
Gordon Boreham-Styffe.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back