• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oil: 1 Anwr: 0 (3 Viewers)

Oil: 1 ANWR: 1

There is a bit of good news in this morning's papers, like this from the Washington Post:

House GOP leaders agreed last night to strip plans to permit oil drilling in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and in the offshore continental shelf from a $54 billion budget-cutting measure, probably securing the votes to pass the bill today.

The move is a blow to President Bush, who has made expanded oil exploration a priority since he took office. Lawmakers said the White House applied pressure yesterday to Republicans to save the drilling provisions, especially in Alaska, even wooing conservative Democrats who have steadfastly opposed the GOP budget package.

But the Democrats did not budge, and at least 22 Republicans told the House leadership they would not vote for the sweeping bill unless the drilling provision was removed and they were given assurances that it would not return after House and Senate negotiators hash out a final measure.

However, the same article continues by stating:

...the Senate negotiators on a House-Senate conference committee will include Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) and Pete V. Domenici (R-N.M.), who have made it clear to House and Senate leaders they will not agree to any final measure that does not include Arctic drilling. One senior GOP aide in the Senate said Domenici and Stevens are willing to bottle up the budget package well into next year if the House does not relent on Arctic drilling.

-Adam

walwyn said:
The freeper experiment was interesting, one was opposed to the drilling the rest ...
Thanks for that. I'm dismayed at the hostility and isolationism.

Proud to be a Pinko Tree-Hugging Commie MoFo

Chris, who has taken the decision NOT to drive.

chrisgarner said:
Thanks for that. I'm dismayed at the hostility and isolationism.

Proud to be a Pinko Tree-Hugging Commie MoFo

Chris, who has taken the decision NOT to drive.
Actually I think they were a little restrained from usual.

The Sierra Club is a sort of red-rag to freepers because:
1. Forests are for clear cutting.
2. Wildlife refuges are for the purposes of hunting.
3. Rivers are for transporting chemical waste to the sea.
4. Environmental concerns are spit liberal.
Whilst the freepers are a little extreme the views they express can be easily found within the centre right of US politics.

Last edited:
Good news for now, but I wonder about the future. Oil is a finite resource and economics tend to drive things. It's also a world commodity. Saying ANWR oil would only be used in America is never certain.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002245699_export17m.html

Unlike the other Chris, I do drive a car. I also live in a home made from National Forest lumber. I know we need resouces and I also know America consumes far too much of the share. China and Japan will offer an amazing amount of money for North Slope oil in the future. I wonder if our country will sacrifice that profit or ween some domestic use to preserve something intangible like "Wilderness"----true wilderness, not Yellowstone or Yosemite.

Olympic National Park is a vast forest of 300 foot high perfectly straight fat trees. It is surrounded by heavily managed state, federal, and indian lands. All cut to the max. That's the lumber used in the construction of my home. There was much controversy when Olympic was "Locked up" decades ago. Now it seems like the park was a great idea and it generates loads of money. The only difference is we can't grow more crops of oil. This fight will never go away until we can drill horizontally for hundreds of miles.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back