• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oil: 1 Anwr: 0 (1 Viewer)

Tyke said:
I had in mind somewhere a little less covered in concrete & people.
Not a very good dodge of the question.

Lets rephrase it:

Having covered your land with concrete and people what makes you think you can tell someone else what to do with theirs?
enquiring minds would like to know.

Sorry to have breached the Allwood Code of Conduct ( winking face thingy)

Can't have a private joke round here now!

Colin

walwyn said:
Not a very good dodge of the question.

Lets rephrase it:

Having covered your land with concrete and people what makes you think you can tell someone else what to do with theirs?
enquiring minds would like to know.

Oh boy- it's getting serious now-I withdraw the inflamatory remark "Can't we have just one place on the planet that's left for wildlife alone, without exploitation-or tourists!"
Happy now?

Grousemore said:
There was, until you filled it up with Global Warming posts.

entirely relevant to the issue i'd say, given that's the reason for building them

anyway keep on thread Trev! ;)

while we're off topic.... wasn't Alan Smith outstanding today :t:

Tim Allwood said:
entirely relevant to the issue i'd say, given that's the reason for building them

anyway keep on thread Trev! ;)

while we're off topic.... wasn't Alan Smith outstanding today :t:

No no, Tim, as you rightly put it before, they're only symbolic!

Didn't see the game, but heard that Smith and Fletcher were the kiddies.
Perhaps Chelsea won't win the title by Xmas after all. B :)

Grousemore said:
No no, Tim, as you rightly put it before, they're only symbolic!

Didn't see the game, but heard that Smith and Fletcher were the kiddies.
Perhaps Chelsea won't win the title by Xmas after all. B :)

i give in Trev...

u win

it's sun nite

need my strength for the kidz :king:

There appears to be something incongruous about this thread.

Basically folks here are against the exploration for oil in a wilderness but advocate for the proliferation of a much lower 'energy to land use' form of generation in other wildernesses.

Both pollute the environment but differ greatly in their amount that they satisfy our energy needs.

Yet we all demand energy, heat, plastics, the latest spotting scopes and fuel inorder to zoom off to twitch the latest rare find.

I am not pointing the finger at anyone or making any apologies for myself, but I find it very hypocritical that we should moan about energy exploration while we surround ourselves in the trappings of the oil industry.

Regarding the ANWR and the US House of Representatives' upcoming budget vote, this from the Nov. 2 Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune:

Arousing some of the strongest feelings was the proposal for oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
Led by Rep. Nancy Johnson, R-Conn., normally a leadership loyalist, about a dozen Republicans are hoping to defeat any bill that would permit drilling there.

"We're essentially at a critical mass with the Republican moderates,'' said Brian Moore, a lobbyist for the Alaska Wilderness League.

"When you combine as many members who are opposed to drilling in the Arctic refuge with all the other things they've included in this budget, they'll have a real hard time getting it through the floor,'' he said.

And this from today's New York Times editorial page:

... its approval of the Alaska oil-drilling foray is a grave misstep. It will be made worse by the House's destructive plan to revive off-shore oil drilling and allow an environmental rip-off through the sale of public lands to developers at bargain prices.

Once the House passes its version of the spending bill, an even wilier form of budget politics will follow - the final, closed bargaining of conferees from the House and Senate. House leaders might easily jettison Alaska drilling to appease moderates this week, while counting on the Senate bargainers to keep it in final compromise.

-Adam

“There are extremely few places left on the planet that can be called truly pristine, and the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is one of them. America has a moral obligation to keep it intact for future generations.”

This is a quote from Edward O. Wilson on the back cover of Arctic National Wildlife Refuge: Seasons of Life and Land, by photographer Subhankar Banerjee.

Walwyn and Bonxie, do you agree with what Mr. Wilson says or not? Are you in support of drilling in the ANWR or not? Or would you prefer to continue mentally masturbating on the topic?

By the way, the book, with an essay by David Sibley, among others, is available from The Mountaineers Club, for those who would like to see what is on the verge of being ruined:

http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/productdetails.cfm?PC=524

-Adam

Last edited:
Blackstart said:

Walwyn and Bonxie, do you agree with what Mr. Wilson says or not? Are you in support of drilling in the ANWR or not? Or would you prefer to continue mentally masturbating on the topic?
This is a GW Bush proposal which seems to have a lot of Republican support in the senate and congress, and drilling in Alaska plays well to a pack of their supporters in the country who see environmentalists and conservationist as tree-hugging, anti-american, communists.

Later today I'll put something up on freerepublic so that you can judge the reaction for yourself. I've had discussions with some that consider regulations that stop them from pouring waste oil down the drain an example of government out of control.

Whilst such attitudes exist no wildlife refuge is safe despite what 100% of the members here say.

If anyone is interested in a great book (in my opinion the best on Alaska) find "Two in the far north" by Margaret Murie. It's her story of growing up in a land of extremes. Also included are the tales of her husband Olaf and herself doing studies and making recommendations for the creation of the Artic Wildlife Refuge. Although Olaf died young, he's royalty among biologists and Margaret was present when Johnson signed the Wilderness Act. She passed away only a few years ago.

I worked in Alaska for the Park Service. ANWR has always been a hot topic. My opinion has always been for a rich educated nation like ours to set aside something so grand and unique. It's the size of Maine and pristine. It's also federal land, not state --something that disturbs many Alaskans. My bet would be that it will be developed. Especially after oil doubles or triples in price. I'd rather drive a little car and see one big chunk of the artic stay wild.

Thanks Chris interesting stuff I'll see if we can get the book from the local library.

The freeper experiment was interesting, one was opposed to the drilling the rest ...

Blackstart said:
Indeed it was, Colin.
Inability to read noted.

Unwillingness to engage the real opposition noted.

I'll leave you to engage in a "Its bad, its very bad, its very very bad, its awful, its disgraceful" discussion amongst the converted.

walwyn said:
Inability to read noted.

Unwillingness to engage the real opposition noted.

I'll leave you to engage in a "Its bad, its very bad, its very very bad, its awful, its disgraceful" discussion amongst the converted.
Thank you, walwyn, your leaving will be just fine. You obviously are too clever to waste your time with people so much less intelligent than yourself.

BirdForum is the only Internet forum in which I participate. I have a life away from the computer.

If I want to bring something to the attention of people here, I'll do it the way I please. If one person contacted his/her representative as a result of what I've posted here, or if even one person became more aware of what's at stake, then I've done what I set out to do.

-Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back