• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus up for sale (1 Viewer)

Did you have the camera on a tripod? That would make a big difference.

No. I had a 100-400 zoom. Had I taken the 500 on a tripod the Lammergeier would now be picking my bones. I learned a lot about my general unfitness!

But that's not the point. The depth of field, field of view and general usability of a camera for searching and locating rather than taking pictures of something already located, as opposed to a telescope - even if both were on tripods - is infinitely less: and the ergonomics are designed for different purposes as well, so don't function brilliantly cross-purpose.

Horses for courses!

John

Statement from the buyers: https://www.43rumors.com/jip-issues...il-their-intention-with-the-imaging-business/
key quote:
JIP’s investment principle is to realize potential growth opportunities by making maximum use of existing business foundation and technologies that the investee companies and businesses have. JIP believes that by delivering value-added products and services to customers and by building an attractive company for employees, the business will be able to realize its full potential and seek growth opportunities.
and
On July 2nd, Olympus made a global announcement regarding the latest M. Zuiko Digital Lens roadmap. The lens introduction plans presented in this roadmap will continue to be carried out even after the business transfer occurs.

Obviously, all of this could be just warm air ;)

Niels

Robin Wong has been a Oly shooter for a while. His current take on whether to purchase an oly camera is in a video: https://www.43rumors.com/robin-wong...now-olympus-jip-transfer-what-we-know-so-far/

The current is a quote highlighted in the rumor site:
I have been receiving quite a lot of questions lately about whether to buy an Olympus camera or not, following the announcement of Olympus being sold to JIP, and exiting the camera business. I share your frustration, but taking a look deeper I think there is very little to be concerned about. Olympus is still operating as usual until the end of the year, and as JIP takes over, the global business will continue on, with full consumer and product support, that much I know. JIP and Olympus have made several announcements, and we know that the brand Olympus will be maintained, and the recently announced updated lens roadmap will also be fulfilled. Of course, I cannot speak for you, but the reason I bought and use Olympus OM-D system extensively was because it works for me and my photography, and that is not going to change. I can’t predict the future, no one can, but more news will come to light in the beginning of October when the agreement from both parties are firmed up.

Niels

There was at one time a call for the new owners of Olympus to make a statement about what they intend. Now that the transfer has actually happened, there is a couple of attempts at just that. You judge how much this might change your view of what is happening.

Niels

In case anyone else has been getting strange e-mails recently I obtained this reply to my query about one I received the other day. It may put one or two folks minds at rest.

J

spacer.gif
Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting OM Digital Solutions.

As we are transitioning to OM Digital Solutions we have experienced IT issues that we are working diligently to resolve.

I apologise for this erroneous e-mail being sent and any confusion is has caused. As we are testing all our systems this e-mail was accidentally sent to all registered users.

I am sorry for the inconvenience, feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Chris Johnloz
UK customer and technical support

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back