• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OM-1 with Panasonic Leica 100-400 (4 Viewers)

When I was shopping for my kit, I also fretted over a fractions of a kilo between the Pana and Oly 100-400 zooms. In the end I went with the Oly lens to mate with Oly body. Yes, it is heavier, but guess what, I don't think about the slight difference in weight anymore. It's just about getting the best photos with my gear, and appreciating what it can deliver.
A few months ago I broke my PL100-400 when I fell getting out of a boat on a muddy river bank. So I've been investigating the options myself recently. There are a few advantages to the Olympus 100-400 that I hadn't previously realized. The Olympus teleconverters are cheaper and more readily available (the Panasonic 1.4x seems to be only available used at the moment). Also, a comparison review indicates that the image at minimum focusing distance on the Olympus lens is noticeably larger than with the Panasonic/Leica – so that's a plus for shooting bugs and other macro-type subjects if you're into that (and I use my 100-400 lens for that a lot).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back