• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One Pallas's Reed Bunting or two? Hong Kong, Nov 2018 (1 Viewer)

MKinHK

Mike Kilburn
Hong Kong
I photographed these two birds almost a month apart in November 2018 on my San Tin Fishponds patch in Hong Kong.

Pallas's Reed Bunting is a description species in Hong Kong, so when I looked closely and noted the difference in tertials between the two birds I thought I'd ask for any thoughts from those more familiar with moult in buntings and with Pallas's Reed Bunting in particular.

DSC02217 was taken on 4th Nov
DSC02740 was taken on 30th Nov

Thanks in advance of any thoughts.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC02217 Pallas's Reed Bunting @ San Tin.jpg
    DSC02217 Pallas's Reed Bunting @ San Tin.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC02740 Pallas's Reed Bunting @ San Tin.jpg
    DSC02740 Pallas's Reed Bunting @ San Tin.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 97
Mike I am fairly certain you are dealing with two individuals, assuming the moult strategy and timing is similar to CRB where, post-juvenile moult takes place Jul-Sep (early Oct) which includes a variable amount of tertials.

The L/H bird appears to have the two larger tertials retained (old) juvenile-type on the right wing whereas the R/H bird has (replaced?) all adult-type. The tail feathers of the R/H bird appear rather worn and rather pointed so I'd suggest it may also be 1st-w.

Grahame

Last edited:
They also appear to have different patterns on the central tail feathers, maybe the second bird has replaced the central tail (although I agree with Grahame that most tail feathers look like a 1st winter).

I'd also say there are two individuals here. Pallas's Reed has been recorded more frequently in HK in the last few years, so it would be possible that two birds were present.

Many thanks Grahame and John - my almost unbelievable autumn / winter 2018/19 at San Tin just keeps getting better and better!

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back