• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Open Letter to Sandia Crest House, NM, USA (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken Schneider said:
We are a bit surprised that so few birders who visit BirdForum.net have actually been there, or, if they have, they are not responding to the threat that feeding may be discontinued because of this unfortunate incident.

Hi there Ken and Mary,

Sounds to me that this isolated incident is getting blown up out of all proportion.

Ok, there seems to have been a misunderstanding. which Katy (Penland) may or may not have been a party to (there has been a suggestion that she may not have been aware of the initial 'discussion' because she was shuttling more visitors to the site).

Are you seriously suggesting that this lucrative sideline will be shutdown because of one complaint on top of so many praises? It doesn't sound like the best business decision.

I'm not sure that Birdforum Members (or visitors) have much bearing on this threat to close down this feeding station.

How many birding visitors there have been asked if they use BF? How far do you expect BF users to travel to visit the Sandia Crest house? Do you expect BF users to start a petition to "Keep the feeding station at Sandia Crest"?

This is a one-off; why don't you just shake hands and let it pass under the bridge?

Regards,

Andy.

Presumably the feeders are there for the benefit of the birds as well as birders, so whatever the rights and wrongs of this incident, surely it would be a shame to discontinue them when the finches have got used to them as a source of food in the harsh winters.

Good news

Andrew Rowlands said:
I
This is a one-off; why don't you just shake hands and let it pass under the bridge?

Right on, Andy!

Good news! Thanks to the concern of so many birders and the good will and support on the part of Gene Romero, the decision seems to have been made to continue the Sandia Crest Rosy-finch feeding project into the future. FYI, most of the birds usually depart around the middle of March, but some straggle into early April. The feeders are taken down by the end of March in order to avoid bear depredation

Ken and Mary Lou

Ken Schneider said:
Right on, Andy!

Good news! Thanks to the concern of so many birders and the good will and support on the part of Gene Romero, the decision seems to have been made to continue the Sandia Crest Rosy-finch feeding project into the future. FYI, most of the birds usually depart around the middle of March, but some straggle into early April. The feeders are taken down by the end of March in order to avoid bear depredation

Ken and Mary Lou

Good news, indeed!

Keep up the good work, guys ... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers,

Andy.

Good news! I'll spare everyone the long response I was writing while the latest messages posted, since it seems there is now no need to continue this thread as Andy has decided that my group's experience was a "one-off" and Ken has intimated that the only cause for concern was whether the feeders and the banding project continue. For me to continue insisting that the manager be accountable for his actions seems churlish.

So I will simply close by saying it is my sincere hope that our group's was and ever will be the only negative experience in the history of Crest House.

RE: Refrigerator Birding

Hi All:

The staff at Crest House were accommodating the day that we visited this year (1/27/05). It had also snowed that AM (not 10 inches around 3) and my birding friend and I had already seen 2 RF species, Cassin's finch, etc. before ever going inside the restaurant. I was happy to have found these birds before actually going in to the feeder simply because it seemed more "real". Of course the only reason the birds we saw were there was the fact that those feeders were nearby.

I feel that I can see both sides of this story. If I had not been able to get inside the Crest House I would have been disappointed but, I would never have left there without trying to find the birds in the surrounding area. My friend and I walked some trails and looked at the feeders from the lower lot for over an hour before the CH opened to try to get the birds "on our own".

I can, however, understand the idea that travelling a long way and making it to Sandia Crest would add some angst to the situation as the decision to stay closed was made. It's a tough call. The fact that the owners decided to not let people in from the cold does seem odd and perplexing and somewhat inhospitable. But, it is their call and putting a bad face on birders in general clearly didn't solve anything.

I'm glad that the feeders will stay up and I do look back on my experience at the top of that mountain as one of the highlights to my trip to NM and to my winter in general. I will remember that spot and hope to return there again.

Good birding (and communication) to all!
Patrick Santinello
Montauk, NY

Last edited:
First off, I've been remiss in my duty here as a moderator to welcome all of you first-time BirdForum posters. Even though you've obviously joined in response to this one discussion taking place, I do hope you'll explore the rest of the Forum at your leisure and take advantage of the amazing amount of information available.

I was going to let this lie with Ken Schneider's final post, but since he and Pat Snider have publicized this thread on the Arizona-New Mexico birding listserve (possibly elsewhere?) in what amounts to an action alert, some things need to be made clear -- again.

My original post was not made with the intent of starting a "she said/he said" debate over the value of Crest House's contribution to the birding world, whether for birders in general or for scientific research. That was never in question. I found out about the Rosy-Finches first through intermittent discussions on various birding listserves and then from the Schneiders' website when it was referenced in one of those discussions. What I read there made my mouth water. Here was a unique opportunity to see these elusive birds in what sounded like a pretty comfortable setting, something you can't anticipate in the dead of winter, anywhere in the world and regardless of elevation. That visitors might also be able to witness the banding project was a bonus to me, as has already been mentioned. So Crest House's importance and intrinsic value have never been at issue.

What was and still is in question, as far as I'm concerned, is how management perceives that value to those who make Sandia Crest a destination, especially organized tours. If what Raymond and Ryan said is true, that "The Crest House doesn’t necessarily think that birders contribute that much to their bottom line," that makes it a little more understandable why the management didn't necessarily care whether people had made an effort to pay "his business" a visit that day. I have said from the outset that the manager had every right to refuse us (or anyone else) entry. That doesn't mean it was a good decision. When you know your business is a birding destination and you have people standing outside at your posted opening time, and you refuse to answer the phone and you refuse to come to the door until long after that posted time, something's wrong. Perhaps our group leader didn't make it clear to the manager that he had 9 people standing outside with nowhere else to go (my "shuttle" was still shuttling the two van drivers). Perhaps the manager didn't make it clear to our group leader that he absolutely was not going to open that day, otherwise I know I for one would have not stood around for another couple hours (after bringing the last of our group up) waiting for nothing, nor would the rest of the group. The other carloads of people who arrived throughout the morning also hung around on the walkways and the upper observation deck; they didn't "see the closed sign" and immediately turn back. So there is obviously some disconnect in what Raymond and Ryan perceive was told us and what we were told.

I'd like to point out that simply because my letter is the only one to "ever" have been received doesn't mean we are the only people who may have had negative experiences. Conversely, of course, it also doesn't mean there have been negative experiences. However, for all of those responding to this thread who have had or still have a direct connection to Crest House to say that if the bird feeding and banding activities had been discontinued it would have been my fault is outrageous. I posted this so that birders contemplating a visit will know that all may not be rosy when going to see the Rosy-Finches at Crest House and in the hopes that the management would amend how it deals with people showing up under similar circumstances.

Which is the real issue here: If the manager that morning had done two things, this entire situation would have never existed: (1) Answered the phone or come to the door by 9:30 and (2) tell us yea or nay on opening that day. That's all that he needed to have done. That he didn't is something he needs to answer for.

Ken Schneider said:
Top management and owners at Sunwest Silver may not see that the benefits outweigh the risks of the bad publicity engendered by the “Open Letter” and general liability. After all, they are allowing essentially non-paying visitors to enter their for-profit establishment and take up valuable space in the dining area.
You know, this is interesting. Crest House is, what, a privately owned business allowed to operate on public lands under a concession from the US Forest Service, correct? I had to pay a fee to park there, and on my second visit, when the Crest House was open, I bought food inside, as did the other birders who showed up while I was there. In fact, it would not have occurred to me to not purchase food as this is, after all, a café. If other birders before or since have been so rude as to take up space without purchasing anything, that is yet another management issue and has nothing to do with my group's experience nor with my reasons for writing my Open Letter. Any discussions of nonexistent agreements among attorneys or the USFS or Crest Houses's "top management and owners" are equally irrelevant to how our group was treated and, frankly, no one's business but Crest House's.

Again, the manager is accountable for his actions and for the way he treats the public. If Crest House's ownership doesn't like "bad publicity," it needs to address how it deals with that public through its on-site management.

Katy,

If they don't like "bad publicity" it is up to them to improve their customer relation skills. I felt really sorry for you shuttling all those people up there, the roads seemed dreadful, as you said all he had to do was answer the phone.

From what the Schneiders said on your previous thread they have a nice side-line going selling t shirts etc. and if all the birders stopped going, wonder how many people would visit the Crest. Someone said it was a private establishment, does that mean it is only a "club" for the right kind of people? The feeders are bringing them in income and they shouldn't forget it.

Rant over, difficult to say but don't let them get to you (I'm a right one have been thinking of this since I first read it but am a born worrier), there are too many offensive insensitive people around nowadays, self first and last.

I for one appreciate the great job you do as a Moderator on here and for all the great posts you make. You are a "gem" on this site.

Ann Chaplin

And oh, yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the clapping hands from Wales and the Garfield with the twitching tail from Yorkshire. He is my hero.

Pat Snider

A CHAPLIN said:
From what the Schneiders said on your previous thread they have a nice side-line going selling t shirts etc. and if all the birders stopped going, wonder how many people would visit the Crest. Someone said it was a private establishment, does that mean it is only a "club" for the right kind of people? The feeders are bringing them in income and they shouldn't forget it.

We thought birders were a friendly lot, but we are compelled to respond to the evil innuendo.

No, it is not such a "nice side line," but rather the labor of love and not something we do to make money. Anyone else is free to join the "club" and do likewise, but you may wish to price your items more aggressively than we did if you "want the feeders to bring in income."

For the record, we contributed the entire "profit" (i.e., our wholesale price minus our cost) from the sale of T-shirts to the NM Non-game Wildlife Fund. Any accountant reading this would realize that actually the business has been a loss each year as far as the bottom line and the IRS goes, as our intent was to promote birders as consumers and to respond to a demand. We had hoped to break even so we should probably have charged the Crest House a few cents more, and will, if demand continues and we need to have more manufactured.

Many people asked for pins (European birders called them "badges) so we made them in the same pattern as our cloth patches. We have invited other artists to also provide such items as rosy-finch stationery, clothing and figurines. The only stipulation is that any text on souvenier items mention "Sandia Crest, NM, Elevation 10, 678 feet."

We also see the sale of rosy-finch paraphanalia as a surrogate index for customer interest in the birds, believing it brings home a message to all the merchants who profit from birding activities. The donors of seed and feeders are also bird lovers, and I hope that their business is enhanced by our mention of them on the ROSYFINCH.COM Web page. Yet they declined to even put up plaques at the invitation of the Crest House and the Forest Service. They would certainly resent being characterized as members of a nefarious "club" of profiteers.

One local restaurant freely offered to give a discount to birders who showed their binoculars. A Bed and Breakfast asked about providing Rosy-finch information to their guests, and we responded. We provided links to both birder-friendly establishments on the Web page. This "club" is also open to anyone who wishes to contribute, as stated on the Web site. No one pays for such links, and we underwrite the entire cost of the domain name and the e-mail service in addition to our own personal Earthlink ISP costs. We certainly do not expect or would we accept any payment for this. In fact, there is no way for the Crest House or the Forest Service or us to accept donations. If you do wish to contribute, we suggest that you send your tax-deductible donation to the Central New Mexico Audobon Society for its conservation programs.

Again, no we are not Mafia types or corporate sharks. We are now "retired" residents of Florida but also virtual New Mexicans who love both states for their people, culture, climate-- and oh yes, their birds.

On a lighter note, read (on ROSYFINCH.COM) the delightful story of the lady from Michigan whose family offered her several exciting ways to spend her 80th birthday-- sky diving, hang gliding... Guess what she chose to do?

Ken and Mary Lou Schneider

O.K. we think all parties have had ample opportunity to put their points across on this thread, there seems little more that can be added. I think the general conclusion is that the Sandia Crest House does a laudable job for the most part but there was poor judgement on their part on the day in question.
Thread now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back