• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opportunity Knocks_1 (1 Viewer)

pe'rigin

Folks,

This is a game of strategy, cunning, anticipation and being down right devious, Dafi, I have great expectations from you with this game.

We have 100 squares covering a picture of a bird; this bird does cover a number of squares. Finding the bird will be no problem for you, (but, judging by your last efforts with the BHG, I have my doubts). I am not trying to hide this bird.

You can open a maximum of three squares to guess the identity of this bird,

BUT, YOU CANNOT OPEN A SQUARE THEN GUESS; UNTIL AT LEAST THREE OTHER PEOPLE HAVE EITHER OPENED A SQUARE OR HAD A GUESS.

OPENING SQUARES GIVES YOU THE RIGHT FOR ONE GUESS ONLY.

THE NUMBER OF SQUARE OPENINGS FOR GUESSING IS NOT ACCUMATIVE.

TO HAVE MORE GUESSES YOU MUST OPEN AT LEAST ONE SQUARE BEFOREHAND.

This is a game of careful anticipation, open too many squares and your opponents has a chance to correctly guess the bird. Where you open the squares will depend on your winning strategy. Open too many of the bird squares and you could give its identity away.

THERE ARE A LIMITED NUMBER OF SQUARES. THE TIMING OF YOUR SQUARE OPENING WILL BE CRITICAL. OPEN TOO MANY, WILL GIVE OTHERS A CHANCE. REMEMBER YOU STILL HAVE TO WAIT 3 TURNS BEFORE GUESSING.

How you play this games depends on you, the bird will not give anybody any problems, even those in the states, João might struggle, as well as Ayasuda in California, but I’m guessing they will both know this bird.

I will revue every 24hrs to give a fair timescale. I will not comment on who’s wrong in guessing or if there was a break in the rules, only the winner will be announced.

Those of a faint heart should not play this game.

The bird was photographed in Hampshire at Titchfield Haven Reserve, (Teamsaint will know it well). It is a fresh water river, which runs into the sea creating brackish reedbeds, lagoons and water meadows.

Attachments

• xxx.jpg
    xxx.jpg
    569.4 KB · Views: 90
Ok, let's see if I've read the rules correctly, please open H3.

Dave,

That's OK, all that I would say folks is, the more squares you open the more I will reveal of the picture. The object would be to locate the bird then make other people open squares.

Dave, if you want to keep with having these three then I will forward them through.

By selecting squares, Dave has an accumative of one guess, but he must wait until I revue and open the squares chosen to see.

You'll get the hang of it.

No more comments.

P

We must be mad I'm sure, but I'd just as well have a go even if I'm not at all sure of the rules.

C8 then please Pe'rigin

Morning All,

Confused, I bet.

Let’s try and unravel this mist of confusing.

It sounds complicated, it’s not.

This game differs from Battleships, by the simple fact that you don’t really want to reveal the bird’s identity until the last minute. It's the opposite.

The object of this game is to out manoeuvre the opposition and eliminate them from guessing.

You achieve this, by making them have an incorrect guess or limit the number of squares.

So let’s go through this.

Opening Round
By opening a square, you are eligible to play the next round (Round 1).

Round one
You have two choices, either guess or opening another square to play Round 2.

Guessing
You can guess, if correct you win…. simple.

If you are incorrect, then in Round 2, you must open a square to be edible to guess in Round 3

Square opening
Square opening gets you into the game and next round, you can play safe and open squares well away from the bird. Makes sense, it assures that it gets you into the next round.

You can be aggressive and open the three squares forcing down the number of available squares and opponents. But remember you have a three-turn rule before you guess. The ojject will be to force your opponents out of the being able to guess.

OK,

Let’s use this game as a run through. There will be no tricks with this game the bird is there for all to see.

Any body wishing to join the game must register by opening a square.

You cannot duplicate the squares, I’ll leave you all to administer this rule amongst yourselves.

ROUND 1

Dave you can either guess or open a square.

Dafi, you must wait one play by another person, before guessing.

Lisa, two plays.

Sue three plays.
Dave going with your original squares.
João, these birds will be well known, no tricks at all.

See how you all go.

THIS IS ROUND 1

Attachments

• xxx.jpg
    xxx.jpg
    570.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
THIS IS ROUND 2

Well we are getting there.

Popeye
Dave
Dafi
Lisa
João

You have all progressed into Round 2.

You can either have a guess (the bird is partly exposed)

Lisa, Dafi and João, if guessing you must wait on the three turn rule, you can open a square, but not guess within 3 other plays by other people.

Or if you are not sure on its identity, play for Round 3, by opening a square or squares.

João, it makes sense to play, even if you don't intend to guess, because if you use up your max square opening of three squares, you will condense the play for those intending to guess this birds identity.

I am certain that you will get this bird, it is worldwide.

Attachments

• xxx.jpg
    xxx.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 98
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back