• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron MM4 or Other Spotting Scope Purchase Advice Please (1 Viewer)

SIGDMER

United States
I am seriously considering the purchase of the MM4 60 GA ED/45 Travelscope to replace my Celestron Regal M2 65 mm. I am not satisfied with the brightness and resolution of the Regal M2. Tried a Baader Mark IV eyepiece, a little better but not what I expected based on the reviews I read about the Regal M2. Regal is my first scope purchase, dealers are not available locally to test before purchase – a problem I realize.

Still looking for the “bright crystal clear images” I read that a spotting scope would/could provide. Hence my interest in the MM4 or other “similar level” spotting scopes. Looking for recommendations and additional opinions about the MM4 60.

I have read valuable comparisons on this forum of the MM4 60 vs. Nikon Fieldscope EIII 60 and Kowa 553 and that these scopes are described as essentially equivalent optically (brightness/resolution/). Are there opinions from long term MM4 users that are familiar with the above scopes and how they compare with each other and high end "alpha" models? Other scopes that can provide a similar or better view at this price point?

Looking for a good used scope to maximize my purchasing power. I am actively pursing a purchase if any recommendations out there (located in the U.S.)

I appreciate any input, is only an “alpha” priced scope going to provide the “bright crystal clear images” I seek? Will the MM4 compete with “alpha”?

Thanks

The MM4 surprised me with how good it is. I was trying to decide between either an Alpha scope or a compact, lightweight scope last year to replace my old heavy Leica. I compared the MM40 with SDLv3 eyepiece with the Kowa 553 and Swarovski ATX 80 at the other end of the scale. The Swarovski was clearly the best optically, but not by much, and very heavy. The Kowa had a great crisp image but the field of view in the MM4 was noticeably wider. To me, the MM4 was the sweet spot - great image, good FoV, smooth/quick focus wheel, less expensive and very light and easy to carry.

I’m still considering an alpha scope as well, but my preference was definitely the MM4 over the Kowa.

Thank you for your thoughtful response and assessment of the MM4.

Late February I purchased a used (via eBay auction) Opticron HR 66 GA ED/45 Fieldscope with SDLv2 for $272.50 delivered. No longer produced and likely “old technology” but I am happy with my purchase. Made near the end of the production run/2018, perhaps lens coatings are reasonably current? In perfect condition and appears to be well constructed, solid but not unwieldy. The really nice and helpful staff at Opticron found the original stay-on case(also no longer made) for this scope in their warehouse, nice. While not an aficionado, the view and operation are excellent to me. Much superior to the Celestron Regal M2 65 mm I returned.
I feel lucky.
Perfect(for me) introduction to the spotting scope game.
Again, appreciate your input.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back