• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron SDL zoom (1 Viewer)

Opticron is not very good at providing information in the same format as other vendors. I think they really shoot themselves in the foot. These are some bits that may help. JP

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231127-030338.png
    Screenshot_20231127-030338.png
    249.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20231202-080451.png
    Screenshot_20231202-080451.png
    262.2 KB · Views: 27
There is more than one SDL - v2 and v3 (maybe even a v1). Optically I'd say the SDLv3 is about the same as the HDF-T, but the SDLv3 provides a wider and more immersive view. It is also waterproof, whereas the HDF-T is not. If you can afford an SDLv3, buy it.

It would cost Opticron just a few hours of a web developer's time to add to their website the sort of details that other brands provide. It's not as if they need to safeguard against people comparing alternative eyepieces for their scopes - I'm not aware that any third-party EPs will fit.

It feels like a can't-be-bothered attitude and one that drives customers away... seems amateurish to me. One of the reasons I've switched to Swarovski - different price-point of course, but among others Vortex and Hawke occupy Opticron's niche. Not for me (a mere customer) to tell Opticron where they're going wrong.

It would cost Opticron just a few hours of a web developer's time to add to their website the sort of details that other brands provide. It's not as if they need to safeguard against people comparing alternative eyepieces for their scopes - I'm not aware that any third-party EPs will fit.

It feels like a can't-be-bothered attitude and one that drives customers away... seems amateurish to me. One of the reasons I've switched to Swarovski - different price-point of course, but among others Vortex and Hawke occupy Opticron's niche. Not for me (a mere customer) to tell Opticron where they're going wrong.
Let's grasp the nettle/ talk about the elephant in the room and see what happens. I suggest that the reason Opticron don't publish this data is not because they can't be bothered. It's because they don't want you to see it.

Hypothetically (of course !) if the FOV of the HDF T zoom was very similar to the much more expensive SDL v3 would that result in more or less sales of the SDL v 3 ? You decide. FWIW here's my view : I don't watch birds underwater, or in a monsoon, so the (unquantified) waterproofing of the SDL v 3 is worthless to me (and I suggest is worthless to most birders most of the time). What is important to me is that the HDF T is significantly smaller and lighter, as well as cheaper. If its published FOV is similar to the SDL v3 then the HF T is the winner for me.

Let's grasp the nettle/ talk about the elephant in the room and see what happens. I suggest that the reason Opticron don't publish this data is not because they can't be bothered. It's because they don't want you to see it.

Hypothetically (of course !) if the FOV of the HDF T zoom was very similar to the much more expensive SDL v3 would that result in more or less sales of the SDL v 3 ? You decide. FWIW here's my view : I don't watch birds underwater, or in a monsoon, so the (unquantified) waterproofing of the SDL v 3 is worthless to me (and I suggest is worthless to most birders most of the time). What is important to me is that the HDF T is significantly smaller and lighter, as well as cheaper. If its published FOV is similar to the SDL v3 then the HF T is the winner for me.

The FOV of the SDLv3 is about 50% wider at the lowest magnification than the less expensive HDF-T - and for me, that immersive quality was worth the extra money. And how do we know which eyepiece is more profitable for Opticron, and therefore which one THEY would prefer you to buy? I don't buy into the idea that the lack of transparency (sorry, couldn't resist) is for commercial reasons.

Anyway, I don't really care as I've moved on to Swarovski and won't comment further.

Hi. According to Opticron's website the 40862 (HDF-T) eyepiece is no longer available, discontinued 11/23.

I recently bought an MM4/60 and tested the HDF and SDLv3 on identical scopes side-by-side and couldn't tell the difference (caveat: I'm new to optics), although I was told that the HDF was waterproof which swung my decision to save the money over the SDL. Seems I was misinformed; only other quibble is in feeling that SDL eyepiece had a nicer eyecup action - there's a little free play in the twist action on my HDF. Presumably there's still stock of the HDF available (perhaps why I was sold one?!) but, as above, seems to have been discontinued now.

Hi there,

Quick question to SDLv3 zoom owners:
I noticed my SDLv3 zoom is a bit noisy and the image get shaky when zooming, but is silent and smooth as butter when de-zooming.

Do I have a bad sample or is it a common thing for this eyepiece?

Hi there,

I noticed my SDLv3 zoom is a bit noisy and the image get shaky when zooming, but is silent and smooth as butter when de-zooming.

I bought a used one a year or so ago and it felt gritty when zooming, so I returned it. I didn't get to the bottom of what the issue was because there was a no quibble refund. Sorry I can't help more. Hope you get it sorted - its a great eyepiece.

Hi there,

My SDL v3 zoom is also noisy. I only notice it when I am indoors. It ahs always been like this. Best to ignore it, otherwise I might end up in the "listening to focusing mechanisms in binoculars and scopes club". Yes, some people do actually listen to the internal workings of their gear. o_O

Just tested mine, smooth the same both ways. There is a little clink noise when you change direction as the mechanism engages. No grittiness though.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back