• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optolyth Binoculars. (1 Viewer)

I am about to introduce you to "my Optoplyth mirage"...
This binocular is NOT an Optolyth, but it is a dead-ringer knockoff of the 9x63 Royal... made in Japan for Orion Telescopes in the early 1990's! I am the original owner and purchased these as the last copy from Orion in San Francisco CA in 1993.
I am currently trying to determine which Japanese optics house built these (it's a mystery) but you can see that these are a spot-on replica of the Royal 9x63s, including the Abbe-Koenig prisms. The only physical differences I have been able to find are (1) no second focus wheel, (2) the strap mounting points are moved from the back to the sides, (3) an extra set of pads on the bridge, and (4) my coatings are green, whereas the Optolyth coatings are purple.
I love these bins and have been recently trying to trace their lineage, with little success. They are unique, rugged, incredible light collectors, beautiful color and FOV, with a slightly soft image which tells me they are not phase-corrected.

Attachments

• Orion 9x63 Roof front.jpg
    Orion 9x63 Roof front.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Orion 9x63 roofs top.jpg
    Orion 9x63 roofs top.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Orion 9x63 roofs green coatings.jpg
    Orion 9x63 roofs green coatings.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 56
Once again me lowly 10X45 Royal BGA P dual wheel focus is naught. A ghost w\o listings that never is graced w\even an honourable mention. The black sheep of the Optolyth line undoubtedly excommunicated shortly after an even shorter production. W\o proof of legacy save an Outdoor Life Bin shootout in 2000 that affords provenance.

I own the Rodney Dangerfield of bins! Well, of Optolyth bins anywho.

At least it came w\OPTOLYTH branded ocular rainguard known affectionately as The Gray Tub...

Last edited:
I have the Royal 10x45 phase coated Abbe-Konig prisms along w/two focus wheels & rubber style armour/BGA. The rainguard is wonderful as very pliable. Raised Optolyth on the outside w/Made in Germany within a circle on the inside. A bit much of focus travel though most is at closer ranges. No objective covers or tripod mount.

I have the Royal 8x45, and I think it gives a very nice view. Just a bit large and heavy for the specification, I guess.

I've also used a couple of the Optolyth collapsible scopes - 22x70BGA and 25x70XS. The XS version shrinks down to 20cm (<8") with a clever mechanism that collapses the eyepiece assembly into the drawtube, which then collapses into the main tube; it's 38cm extended. I expect they can't compete with top-tier scopes optically, but they're great for compact travel.

Gijs If not then it is a strange coincidence to have a Hensoldt that is not the Zeiss-Hensoldt and a Sill that is not connected to the original family.

Lee

Hans Hensoldt was the grandson of Moritz. Before WW2 he became a member of the board of Zeiss and was also very active in political circles.

After WW2 he continued with his extreme political views and was removed from the board as he became an embarrassment to Zeiss.

He then started up Hans Hensoldt optics in Wetzlar and manufactured binocular very similar in design to the original Hensoldts.

His company was the subject of a number of copyright cases in court.

Gary

Hans Hensoldt was the grandson of Moritz. Before WW2 he became a member of the board of Zeiss and was also very active in political circles.

After WW2 he continued with his extreme political views and was removed from the board as he became an embarrassment to Zeiss.

He then started up Hans Hensoldt optics in Wetzlar and manufactured binocular very similar in design to the original Hensoldts.

His company was the subject of a number of copyright cases in court.

Gary

Many thanks for this Gary. A fascinating story.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back