• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orange-billed Tern ID - Mauritania 21/03 (1 Viewer)

Jonny721

I am going back and forth on the ID of this orange-billed tern species photographed in Nouadhibou harbour this evening.

In the field I was happy with it being a West African Crested Tern, with the bird appearing large in size, roughly intermediate between the Caspian's and Sandwich's that it was associating with. It also appeared very pale in the field, noticeably different compared to the darker mantles of the Caspian's, though colour wasn't necessarily representative in the late evening light. However, subsequently reflecting on the photos I am now torn between my initial ID and Lesser Crested Tern, and wondering whether my in the field judgement of the size was incorrect. The bill appears broad and not particularly long, favouring WAC, though the darker orange rather than yellow colour perhaps favours Lesser? The body, including the rump and tail, appear a pale grey in the photos.

Photos 1,2 and 4 are unedited except cropping and passing through Topaz, whilst 3 and 5 have been lightened somewhat to better show the bill features. Any thoughts much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3243-DeNoiseAI-low-light.JPG
    IMG_3243-DeNoiseAI-low-light.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3419-DeNoiseAI-low-light.JPG
    IMG_3419-DeNoiseAI-low-light.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3436-DeNoiseAI-low-light.JPG
    IMG_3436-DeNoiseAI-low-light.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3480-DeNoiseAI-low-light.JPG
    IMG_3480-DeNoiseAI-low-light.JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3545-DeNoiseAI-low-light.JPG
    IMG_3545-DeNoiseAI-low-light.JPG
    308.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I think lesser crested: mantle dark, build not chunky enough for west African. Both show shaggy crest but this is almost always obvious in "royal" terns.
Thanks for your input. I am still undecided, and kicking myself for not focusing enough on the size in the field as that should have made it obvious. R.e. the shaggy crest, this probably isn't relevant in this case as it was fishing so the cap was wet, and most flight photos of West African Crested on eBird show the cap being smooth.

A few more photos, though not sure whether they add anything to the ID or just add to the confusion.

Attachments

• IMG_3472-DeNoiseAI-low-light.JPG
    IMG_3472-DeNoiseAI-low-light.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3525-DeNoiseAI-low-light.JPG
    IMG_3525-DeNoiseAI-low-light.JPG
    552 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3593-DeNoiseAI-low-light.JPG
    IMG_3593-DeNoiseAI-low-light.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3433-DeNoiseAI-low-light.JPG
    IMG_3433-DeNoiseAI-low-light.JPG