• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orthotomus sutorius fernandonis Whistler, 1939 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Orthotomus sutorius fernandonis Whistler, 1939 OD here
It is named after Mr. E. C Fernando of the Colombo Museum in acknowledgment of his excellent work in carrying out the field collecting of the Ceylon Survey on behalf of the British Museum and the Colombo Museum.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Common Tailorbird ssp. Orthotomus sutorius fernandonis Whistler, 1939
E. C. Fernando (c.1900–1966) was a hunter and collector for the Colombo Museum, Ceylon (Sri Lanka) (1931). He worked as taxidermist and collector for the Field Museum, Chicago. He tanned the pelt of of the largest leopard ever shot in Sri Lanka – 2.7 m long. A mammal is named after him. One of his 10 children, Dr Henry Fernando (1928–2008), was an entomologist with the Department of Agriculture in Colombo.
The Key to Scientific Names
E. C. Fernando (d. 1966) Singhalese collector, taxidermist at Colombo Mus., Ceylon (subsp. Orthotomus sutorius)

The mammal Mus fernandoni Phillips, 1932 (swcribed as Leggadilla fernandoni) in
Phillips, W.W.A. (1932a). Additions to the fauna of Ceylon. No. 1. Two new rodents from the hills of Central Ceylon. Spolia Zeylanica, 16(3): 323–327.

Haven't seen William Watt Addison Phillips publication.

But note here in 1952/53 is written:
... February ist this year (1953) one was secured by Mr. E. C. Fernando Junior son of the late Taxidermist ...

and here

... Ceylon, very valuable evidence has recently been provided by Mr. Edward C. Fernando, Junr., son of the retired taxidermist of the Colombo Museum.

I feel it is likely that the death 1966 is for the son and not (assume) for Edward C. Fernando, Sen. But feel free to prove me wrong.

I think "the late" here is the archaic form meaning formerly and not "the now dead". I can find no evidence anything happened in 1966 and have no idea where the idea he work for the Field Museum comes from.

Eric Colin Fernando
Birth31 Oct 1889 Colombo, Western Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
Death1976 Colombo, Western Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
SpouseMargaret Nancy Draper (1900-1977)
Son
Edward Clarence Fernando 1926–1990

Last edited:
[...]
The dedication in the OD of the Ceylon Spiny-Mouse "Leggadilla fernandoni" PHILLIPS 1932:

Spolia Zeylanica 16, p.325 .jpg

... have no idea where the idea he work for the Field Museum comes from.
It sure looks like (a) "E. C. Fernando" collected (also) for the Field Museum, Chicago (at least some of "his" specimens ended up there); a Snake, here (in 1958), a Lizard here (in 1960) another Lizard here (in 1962), a Muntjak here (in 1964), another Snake (here), ... and onwards, all on/in/from Sir Lanka/Ceylon.

/B

Last edited:
Yes meant to say there is no definite evidence Eric collected these items - it is notable that almost all date from after Eric's retirement from the Colombo Museum. When you look at Vertnet an "E.C. Fernando" collected over 1000 specimens in European and US museums. He made a huge collection of mammals for the Florida NHM from throughout the 1960s and an equally large collection of mammals at the AMNH from the early 1970s and there are items at the LACM, YPM, and at the NHM in London from as late as 1972.

The MCZ has about 5-6 mammals collected in the 1930s that have to be by Eric but these were probably received in exchange. They do have a few birds from the late 1950s that may be from Edward. The last collection by any E.C. Fernando was in Feb 1972.

In my opinion given the two quotes that you give in the first post, the majority of specimens in European Museums are most probably from Edward Clarence - who incidentally isn't really E.C. jnr given the fact his forenames are different than his father. There is a possibility that father and son ran a business together - > 1000 stuffed dead mammals is a lot of work!

However, for the Key the honoree in the OD is clear:

Eric Collin Fernando (1889-1976). Taxidermist and collector at the Colombo Museum, Sri Lanka.

Eric did indeed prepare several large leopard specimens including the "Punani Man Eater".

Last edited:
Orthotomus sutorius fernandonis Whistler, 1939 OD here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

The Key to Scientific Names

But note here in 1952/53 is written:

and here

I feel it is likely that the death 1966 is for the son and not (assume) for Edward C. Fernando, Sen. But feel free to prove me wrong.
Yes meant to say there is no definite evidence Eric collected these items - it is notable that almost all date from after Eric's retirement from the Colombo Museum. When you look at Vertnet an "E.C. Fernando" collected over 1000 specimens in European and US museums. He made a huge collection of mammals for the Florida NHM from throughout the 1960s and an equally large collection of mammals at the AMNH from the early 1970s and there are items at the LACM, YPM, and at the NHM in London from as late as 1972.

The MCZ has about 5-6 mammals collected in the 1930s that have to be by Eric but these were probably received in exchange. They do have a few birds from the late 1950s that may be from Edward. The last collection by any E.C. Fernando was in Feb 1972.

In my opinion given the two quotes that you give in the first post, the majority of specimens in European Museums are most probably from Edward Clarence - who incidentally isn't really E.C. jnr given the fact his forenames are different than his father. There is a possibility that father and son ran a business together - > 1000 stuffed dead mammals is a lot of work!

However, for the Key the honoree in the OD is clear:

Eric Collin Fernando (1889-1976). Taxidermist and collector at the Colombo Museum, Sri Lanka.

Eric did indeed prepare several large leopard specimens including the "Punani Man Eater".
E C Fernando was my grandfather he was born 31/10/1898 and died 20/12/1975. Edward, my uncle was a civil engineer who worked all over the world and returned to Sri Lanka sporadically during the 50's 60's & 70's. My father, Hugh worked with my grandfather until he left for the UK in 1961. All specimens were collected under E C Fernando never under my uncles or fathers name.

Welcome to the forum. Nice to get first hand information from a family member. So Eric Collin Fernando (1898-1975).
Thank you, its good to get the information out there. Even though I come from a big family I probably have the best knowledge as my father worked with my grandfather, my Uncle Edward used to do bits and pieces when he returned from working abroad. Orthotomus sutorius fernandonis was actually collected by my grandfather, I had taken my father to the NHM (Tring) to see some of the bird specimens they had collected. On the tailor bird label he had written Orthotomus sutorius ? Knowing it could be a new species.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back