• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ospreys in Cornwall? (1 Viewer)

Osprey distribution Cornwall.png
This is the BirdTrack recent sightings (last 30 days) map of Cornwall, when I searched 'Osprey'. I heard about an osprey being seen in Falmouth and then Devoran in the summer, but does this amount of sightings, across the whole of of Cornwall, sound likely? So far, I have never seen an osprey in Cornwall. I would love to, and if there really are suddenly loads of ospreys that's wonderful news, but it seems to me quite unlikely.
Perhaps I have missed something. I would be grateful for any info on this.
Thanks
Eddie

Check out the recent sightings page on the County Bird Club website -

https://www.cbwps.org.uk/cbwpsword/sightings/

There have been birds at Stithians Reservoir, Devoran and a number of other places recently. Young birds on southbound migration especially can linger for a few weeks at this time of year. Birds can also be seen by birders as flyovers at random places, but the reservoirs and certain coastal locations (estuaries/creeks) are where they would be more guaranteed.

I'm guessing that your map above shows recent records in pink, superimposed onto all records in green, or something like that??

Last edited:
Thanks dantheman, I hadn't realised until yesterday that pink represents the last 30 days, green is older records. It still seems like a lot of sightings, however I have not been been to Sithians Reservoir so perhaps I will make a trip there. I had checked the CBWPS bird atlas but not the recent sightings, turns out that's what I should have been doing, as it lists an osprey seen yesterday at Constantine.

Thanks dantheman, I hadn't realised until yesterday that pink represents the last 30 days, green is older records. It still seems like a lot of sightings, however I have not been been to Sithians Reservoir so perhaps I will make a trip there. I had checked the CBWPS bird atlas but not the recent sightings, turns out that's what I should have been doing, as it lists an osprey seen yesterday at Constantine.

Yes, by a good friend of mine from his garden!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back