• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl in Guardian (1 Viewer)

This photo of an owl was in Guardian Daily Photograph thread on May 1st. It says the picture was taken in Kent, UK.

May Day protests, a Green Man and a volcano: Monday’s best photos

The bird looks to me a Great Horned Owl, an American species. I wrote to Guardian editor and according to photographer (not a birder) it was taken in Kent and it's a wild bird, not taken in a zoo.

Am I wrong or is there a wild Great Horned Owl in Kent?
There is the Eagle Heights Wildlife Foundation near Eynsford in Kent. I know they do free-flying displays of raptors and owls, so maybe one of theirs?

This photo of an owl was in Guardian Daily Photograph thread on May 1st. It says the picture was taken in Kent, UK.

May Day protests, a Green Man and a volcano: Monday’s best photos

The bird looks to me a Great Horned Owl, an American species. I wrote to Guardian editor and according to photographer (not a birder) it was taken in Kent and it's a wild bird, not taken in a zoo.

Am I wrong or is there a wild Great Horned Owl in Kent?
You're right, it's a Great Horned Owl and it's captive. Photographers lie a lot, they are easiest to catch out when they've no idea what they are photographing, as here. You wouldn't believe how many try to pass off Asian Small-clawed Otters in zoos as European Otters in the wild in Britain.

John

You're right, it's a Great Horned Owl and it's captive. Photographers lie a lot, they are easiest to catch out when they've no idea what they are photographing, as here. You wouldn't believe how many try to pass off Asian Small-clawed Otters in zoos as European Otters in the wild in Britain.

John

And how many wildlife trusts then publish them as such.........

😮

The fault lies solely with the photographer. The newspapers use use the description provided.

Is Yorkshire-fog (Holcus lanatus) already that far advanced in Kent? Ten days later in the Netherlands it certainly is not.

Is Yorkshire-fog (Holcus lanatus) already that far advanced in Kent? Ten days later in the Netherlands it certainly is not.
You're right, the general state of the grass in that image looks like more something you'd expect in June. Or maybe late May. Maybe there was a spelling error and the picture was taken in the southern US instead of southern UK? :unsure:

So it's clear the owl wasn't taken last Monday (I see meadow buttercup as well as Yorkshire fog, no way that was 01 May), and if it was in Kent, wasn't a wild bird. Lazy of the Guardian, but if I was them I'd be asking for my money back from the photographer.

So it's clear the owl wasn't taken last Monday (I see meadow buttercup as well as Yorkshire fog, no way that was 01 May), and if it was in Kent, wasn't a wild bird. Lazy of the Guardian, but if I was them I'd be asking for my money back from the photographer.
Meadow Buttercups are certainly flowering in small numbers around here in west London, though not Yorkshire Fog.

Meadow Buttercups are certainly flowering in small numbers around here in west London, though not Yorkshire Fog.
Still at rosette stage here - must admit it's difficult to judge what stage the rest of the country's flora is at from this particularly cool and cloudy NE corner of England...I notice quite a difference in things like hawthorn blossom just between here and South Yorkshire...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back