• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl Pellet - UK (1 Viewer)

HanD

United Kingdom
Sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum. This appeared on our patio this morning and I think it looks like an owl pellet. Does anyone else have any thoughts? Might be wishful thinking on my part! I can't decide if actually all the rain has just made lots of debris stick together.

We live in a London suburb so I hadn't considered that there could be owls this locally!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-07-17 at 09.24.35 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-17 at 09.24.35 (1).jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 20
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-17 at 09.24.35.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-17 at 09.24.35.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 20
Sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum. This appeared on our patio this morning and I think it looks like an owl pellet. Does anyone else have any thoughts? Might be wishful thinking on my part! I can't decide if actually all the rain has just made lots of debris stick together.

We live in a London suburb so I hadn't considered that there could be owls this locally!
I am now thinking that perhaps it is hedgehog poo, there seems to be lots of small bits of bone. It was only 5cm so feels a bit small for a fox and doesn't smell.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-07-17 at 11.41.17.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-17 at 11.41.17.jpeg
    546.2 KB · Views: 13
I am now thinking that perhaps it is hedgehog poo, there seems to be lots of small bits of bone. It was only 5cm so feels a bit small for a fox and doesn't smell.
I was recently informed that plenty of other birds, including hawks cough up pellets. From the photos there looks like there is a fair bit of feather fibre in there. Is Sparrowhawk possible for your area?

Looks ok for hedgehog poo i.e colour and irregular shape. Also hedgehog poo appears sticky i.e not dry and full of bits of fur etc.

Sorry for the delay in replying, we went away.

Thank you for your thoughts. I am not sure on the Sparrowhawks, I know birds of prey have been seen maybe a 20 min drive from here but I haven't ever seen any in this area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back