• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owls vs. Hawks/Falcons (1 Viewer)

wild Owls

Owls truly are an amzing bird., nothing short of spectacular in my opinion., right behind Bald Eagles on my list of favourite birds. Please feel free to have a look at my shots of wild Owls, and email me if you want some help to find a good view of them in the wild.. my email addy is on my website., or post a comment and I will respond to you.

http://www.pbase.com/raymondjbarlow/owls

ps.. i live near Niagara Falls.

I went to a falconry display once and they were flying a small african owl (not sure which breed) and something caused it to panic and grip its handlers hand. She was in absolute agony and it took another two handlers to prise the talons apart. She said if it was really trying her hand would have been crushed. Must be like having your hand in a vice and someone slowly tightening it. Ouch!

Spotted eagle owl I guess, those birds nest on the ground and are therefore very aggressive in protecting their young. There is even an account of one attacking a leopard which ventured too near.
Owls generally have the strongest grip of any bird of prey pound to pound, however, hawks and falcons make up for their manuverability during the day and eagles have larger feet which provides them with wider grips though.
As for great grey owls and hawk owls those birds are maunverable because half the size of great grey owls are acctually feathers which makes them weigh less than other owls of similar size and hawk owls have to be manuverable enough to catch insects.

who am i

A falconer in Utah told me the great horned owl is the main predator of young hawks, eagles, and falcons. Ravens will tease and annoy young owls to drive them away from their young, but then they will try to steal a mature bald eagle's meal too. One of my favorite owls is the small burrowing owl. They are about the size of a quail and live in prairie dog burrows.

Owl v Hawk

I may be wrong but Hawks and falcons use griping power on the inner and rear talon the middle and outer toes are used for balancing.Owls on the other hand use all four talons in an incredible grip.Allot has been said about the killing capabilities of the Eagle Owl family but are own Tawny Owl is a formidable night hunter and can be the main reason for Sparrowhawk nesting failure and probably has an impact on the kestrel mortality

Types of Owls and Types of Hawks

The question might not be fully conceptually thought out.

Does it matter which type of either owl or hawk might be stronger? What is important is that each is designed to catch the prey it seeks.

Otherwise, if you are looking at sheer force, I'm with the respondant who talked about the hawk and falcon species that dive bomb their prey.

The force of an object is partially a function of speed and therefore it sound reasonable to suggest that the fastest raptors (in terms of catching their prey) rank among the most forceful raptors.

Time to review my materials on both

Types of Owls and Types of Hawks

Owls have to hunt by day too during the breeding season so its not fair to say they all use stealth by night. If you look at Northern Europe then the days are log and nights very short in winter. The Eagle Owl in Dunsop Bridge caught a Partridge in front of people. I am assuming they also caught fast moving prey such as Rabbit too.

I would not be surprised if an Eagle Owl attacked a Leopard but it would not want to get too close to that fast moving predator. The BBC showed footage of a Snowy Owl harassing a pack of Wolves which ventured not too far from its nest. The Owl did not really cause any damage to the Wolves which would leap up at it, but too late.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back