• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Painted Bunting, Flamborough Head UK (1 Viewer)

Simmo1111

A couple of days ago we had a ringed Painted Bunting in our Flamborough garden. I was interested to see if anyone could offer any information with regard to its possible origin?

The ring details so far as we can see from various photographs were:

The numbers 883 can be seen (read upwards as in the 8 nearest the foot of the bird and the 3 nearest the knee), we also saw the numbers 29 over 17, these numbers being aligned at right angles to the 883. A final bit we got was either BOF or possibly 8OF, again aligned upwards the same as the 883 bit. A bit of info I've managed up to now was that the bird was probably bought/bred in Belgium originally and then bought by a bird fancier at a sale here in the UK or on the continent.The BOF part of the ring (assuming that it is BOF) appears to be a Belgian breeders club ring.

Attachments

• Painted Bunting Ring.JPG
    Painted Bunting Ring.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Painted Bunting.jpg
    Painted Bunting.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 101
Just found out from a helpful guy at this end that the 2.9 part is the band size and the 17 is the year. Regarding the 883 part and the BOF/8OF we don't know about those bits. Breeder code maybe?

Forgot to add that the band isn't a split one so far as we can see which obviously indicates (I presume) that the band was fitted while the bird was still a fledgling.

There have also been Painted Buntings with similar rings at Aberdeen (blue) and on one of the Scottish islands, forget which, this week. I wonder if all are from the same source?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes we had a message via Twitter from someone in Aberdeen asking if our bird was still present, (which it wasn't) Ours was here for one day on the 22nd and we got the message about the Aberdeen bird on the 25th. Not had any details regarding ring numbers from the Aberdeen bird so we don't know if that's the one from our end (long way to go in such a short time maybe?) The other bird was on Orkney and was wearing a red ring.

Thanks Xenospiza,

We presumed that was the case. We were interested in trying to find out the bird's origin if anyone was able to use the information supplied from our photographs. Probably Belgium is as good as we've managed up to now.

Thanks again.

Painted Bunting in Aberdeen

Dear all,

I am the one who saw the painted bunting in Aberdeen. I am not a birder by any stretch, but in this time of lockdowns, we are all spending more time looking at our gardens and noticing the birds there. In the end it was fortunate that we were home yesterday (Friday) as he was here only that day - he has not reappeared today.

I have attached a couple pictures, but unfortunately, I do not have any good pictures of the band on his leg, which I didn't know to try to get until late in the day when a work colleague who is a very big birder excitedly got in contact to say to get a picture of the band if I could. The best I could do is to take a frame from a 5 second video I made of him (also pictured). It is clearly blue, but it is too blurred to see if it is a match.

Sorry that we can't tell if this is the same bird as in Flamborough - though it is hard to believe that he would have made it up to Aberdeen from Flamborough in two days (that said, he spent nearly the entire day at the feeder). My wife has said that it is the same bird and that he is going to see his friend in Orkney for a wee holiday!

Best wishes,

Keith

Attachments

• picture1.JPG
    picture1.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 63
  • picture2.JPG
    picture2.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 71
  • picture3.JPG
    picture3.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 67
  • leg.jpg
    leg.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 55
Bit of a bugger .. All my shots are of the birds from the LHS. This one though does show a rusty patch where the top of the right wing runs into the shoulder area which also shows in the Aberdeen bird. I'll see if the other guy managed any from the other side.

Attachments

• P_Bunting2 - Copy.jpg
    P_Bunting2 - Copy.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 59
Dear Dave and (near neighbor!) Andrew,

Thanks for the welcome. I am sorry that I don't have a picture from the other side - every time I looked he was on the left hand side of my feeder as I look at it. The only time I got him on the other side is in the attached picture with the blue tit. I have attached a front picture too. His front is a bit rough colored, so that may match?

Thanks,

Keith

Attachments

• picture4.JPG
    picture4.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 57
  • picture5.JPG
    picture5.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 50
The front of the bird looks wet in the second pic compared to the one with the Blue Tit. Do you have a birdbath or anything like that?

The more I see of my pics, the more I can't help but think that we might have the same bird. See the front crop here and notice the yellow patches on the front RHS of the bird's breast.

Attachments

• Cropped Front Shot P Bunt.jpg
    Cropped Front Shot P Bunt.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 40
I'll try and edit the pic of mine to match the colours. Bit too bright here but you can make out what I mean. LH bird Aberdeen one and RH is the Flamborough one.

Attachments

• Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 66
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back