• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pallid Swift? Tenerife, July 2022 (1 Viewer)

Shumi

Ukraine
Hi All, pls kindly advise - is that a Pallid Swift? Seen at Barranco de Ruiz on Tenerife, where normally only Plain and Pallid Swifts are present in summer - and this one certainly looked different from Plain Swifts (bigger, longer winged and the flight pattern 'more predictable", not erratic as with plains swifts).

Common swifts would not be very common there, but could potentially be present. I have had no field experience with Pallid Swists before, but to me the bird(s) on the pictures appear to be more sandy colored than black, black mark near the eye appears to be visible and some pictures appear to show the "broad" white chin.

I saw a couple of birds there that looked like Pallids, so cannot 100% guarantee that it is the same bird on all five pictures, but quite possibly it is.

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0980.JPG
    IMG_0980.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0984.JPG
    IMG_0984.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0970.JPG
    IMG_0970.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 105
Thank you. Do I understand correctly that you would lean towards Plain Swift in this case?

I have very little experience of plain swift but it does look rather attenuated at the rear for pallid. It also seems to be quite long-winged. I wouldn't like to appear certain though, as I'm not.

Dear All, I have addressed this question to Eduardo Garcia del Rey, an expert ornithologist from Sociedad Ornitológica Canaria (I managed to obtain his contact details from Robert Burton, a birder permanently based on La Palma who runs a blog on La Palma birds). I will publish his opinion here once i get the reply from Eduardo.

Overall, lack of a contrasting dark mask coupled to a restricted pale throat and without any “real” contrast, doesn’t to my eye scream A.pallidus?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back