• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panama in August (2 Viewers)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I may be dreaming, but it seems likely I could get some time off in August and it seems I could get cheapish tickets to Panama. I have not previously been to Panama at that time of the year, so is this doable? Any advice on where in Panama it would be dry enough for birding vs where you are likely to be rained out on at that time? Would it for example be realistic to bird around Volcan Baru?
Niels

My visits to Panamá (about 2 months total) have been in The “rainy season” as well - June and July. I never lost a terrible amount of time to rain and most sites have pretty good roads. Volcan Baru specifically - if you want to get a 4WD up to look for the owl and highland birds you would want to ask some operators / guides / locals about feasibility. Otherwise I can’t imagine you’d have any particular problems and I would certainly go in August. But then again, I routinely travel in the neotropics in rainy season. Many species, particularly antbirds, seem more vocal then.

Well we were in the next-door Costa Rica last July and we barely made it to the airport to get back home because of torrential rain destroying roads ... but that was an exceptional event even for the green season.

Thanks for the answers so far. One of the reasons I asked was that I remember a day on the road towards Bocas del Toro province where we got completely rained out and another day in Boquete which was just as bad (this was around Christmas/new year). On the other side of Volcan Baru, things were a good deal more manageable, and in Herrera I remember things as pretty much dry. Therefore, does anyone know about regional differences of rain at that time of the year?
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back