• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panama Canopy Tower for rainforest wildlife & photography (April/May 2024) (3 Viewers)

Paul Collins

Hi all,

After a fabulous previous visit to Panama, I'm planning a visit to the excellent Canopy Tower (near Panama City; pictured) and possibly Canopy Lodge. This will likely be for a week or so in mid/late April, at the start of the green season, to coincide with bird migrations (Panama is a channel for birds coming from North and South America), mating frogs, butterflies and nectaring flowers that attract hummingbirds and certain mammals. I find Panama more affordable and just as alluring than its neighbour Costa Rica, and not as targeted by photographers. The tower has a fascinating history as a reformed US radar tower, which looms with 360 degree vistas over the rainforest, looking towards the capital. Fantastic opportunities for seeing and photographing a mouthwatering variety of species at eye level and above the rainforest, as well as on the paths.

I'd love to hear from anyone interested in joining - whether you love butterflies, birds, mammals or all, and if you have a photography interest as I will be focussing most days on finding photo opportunities at the accommodations, their feeding stations, and on nearby trails (possibly a boat trip too).

I have calculated costs and been in touch with the accommodations, so do get in touch.

Paul
Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 14.34.33.png

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 14.36.49.pngScreenshot 2024-01-23 at 14.37.55.pngScreenshot 2024-01-23 at 14.38.18.pngScreenshot 2024-01-23 at 14.38.24.pngScreenshot 2024-01-23 at 14.38.45.png

I'd be looking at 7 nights there (4 nights Canopy Tower, 3 nights Canopy Lodge), flying from London. So really allow for 8 to 9 days for travel. Fly to Panama City, pickup and just 1hr drive to the Canopy Tower, and an ease in with birding from the tower's roof / hammocks. Easy transfer from Canopy Tower to Canopy Lodge on day 5, so there's not a wasted moment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back