• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ-200 (1 Viewer)

I've just come back from a trip that included Peru, Bolivia, USA and Canada and while it wasn't specifically a bird finding trip, I did manage to get a few shots with my then new FZ200. Here's some samples.

Beautiful, Rodger. It looks like you've got the hang of the 'new' camera ;). I am considering selling my FZ150 and going for the FZ200 just to get that low light performance...your shots do show that the image quality is as good on both cameras I think.

Having used the FZ200 for a bit now, are you pleased with it?
Thanks
Hobbes

Many thanks Hobbes. I am pleased with it in many ways, especially the better low light performance. Its quite noticeable when you compare the two cameras side by side in lower light. Image quality is about the same. There is one thing I'm not happy about with the FZ200 is that I usually have the AF set to autofocus continuous (AFC), but I have found that even when the camera locks on to a subject the AF will shift if you point the camera elsewhere. Apparently its supposed to do that. I'm going to change my focus to auto focus single and see if that stops the focus shift.

Last edited:
This is why I love BF so much. Serious users posting honest and friendly reviews and photos from real world situations that matter.

Thanks folks, because I just persuaded the wife that I really, really need a new shiny, and this is it!

Many thanks Hobbes. I am pleased with it in many ways, especially the better low light performance. Its quite noticeable when you compare the two cameras side by side in lower light. Image quality is about the same. There is one thing I'm not happy about with the FZ200 is that I usually have the AF set to autofocus continuous (AFC), but I have found that even when the camera locks on to a subject the AF will shift if you point the camera elsewhere. Apparently its supposed to do that. I'm going to change my focus to auto focus single and see if that stops the focus shift.

Hi Rodger
That's very helpful to hear about the AF issue. The FZ150 doesn't seem to have that kind of option so I guess it's a case of testing out which setting works on the FZ200. My old FZ8 had the AFC setting and that's what I used. Once you half-depressed the shutter button, it locked (even if you moved the focal area). Perhaps they have changed how it functions on the FZ200. I hope you can figure it out!
All the best
Hobbes

Last edited:
More shots taken with the FZ200.

Attachments

• Anna's Hummingbird.JPG
    Anna's Hummingbird.JPG
    347.5 KB · Views: 312
  • Black Chinned Hummingbird.JPG
    Black Chinned Hummingbird.JPG
    355.9 KB · Views: 348
  • House Finch.JPG
    House Finch.JPG
    365.3 KB · Views: 321
  • Hummingbird.JPG
    Hummingbird.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 411
Those are stunning photos. Now, I cannot wait to get my hands on one of these. Really great to see so many superb photos. Cheers.

Hi Rodger,
Great photos! Do you use editing software and do you shoot in RAW?

I use iPhoto for most things like brightness, contrast and cropping and I use photoshop for re-sizing, I lightened up the hummingbirds, but most of the others are untouched. I haven't done any noise reduction at all. I don't shoot in raw.

Last edited:
For those of you who own the FZ 200 -

I'm having trouble understanding how the manual focus works on this camera. The button on the side is easy enough to understand. How does one use that single button to make adjustments? Or does the wheel on the upper right of the back of the camera affect the focus when in manual mode? I tried to download the FZ 200 manual but the Panasonic site crashed my computer twice!
Has anyone tried using this mode?

Thanks -
Steve
Just doing my part to turn this thread into biblical proportions...

Hi Rodger
I just wondered if you'd been able to resolve this focus lock issue?
All the best
Hobbes

Hi Hobbes, the short answer is yes and no. Yes in the sense that I have set the camera to Auto Focus Single (AFS) and no in the sense that the camera is doing what its supposed to do - apparently. I read a review just a few minutes ago and the camera they tested did exactly the same thing. They criticised it for doing that focus shift. The AFS has stopped that, as in that mode once you lock on to a subject, the camera will hold the focus as long as you keep the shutter button half depressed.

Hi Steve, the button on the side is useful when you have the camera set to manual focus. A quick jab of the button will throw the camera into autofocus for an instant. Its helpful if you are having trouble making the focus manually. Simply press that button and the camera should focus for you. Sometimes, it will achieve focus when straight autofocus won't. The wheel at the top right corner of the camera will change the focus as well, if the camera is in manual focus, but its adjustments are cruder than the focus lever or the left and right arrows. I prefer to use the side lever for focus and have one of the function buttons set up to allow a quick change of that lever from focus to zoom. Hope this helps.

Regards

Rodger

Thanks, that is helpful,scodgerott. By the "side lever", do you mean the vertically sliding bar on the same side as the focus button? I have been puzzling as to what the "T" and"W" meant. If that is the correct control, does it seem to work fairly smoothly? I'm most interested in being able to get decent quality pictures in poor light with a difficult auto focus point, birds in forest undergrowth specifically. It seems it is easily capable of good shots in good light.

Steve

Hi Steve, that's the correct lever. It can be used as an alternative zoom as well, hence the T and W for telephoto and wide angle, however it is very useful as a focus control and, as I said, I have a function button set up so that you can quickly change it from zoom to focus. I also have two custom settings, where in one its focus and the other its zoom. As a focus lever, it works better than the other manual focus methods.

Hi Steve, that's the correct lever. It can be used as an alternative zoom as well, hence the T and W for telephoto and wide angle, however it is very useful as a focus control and, as I said, I have a function button set up so that you can quickly change it from zoom to focus. I also have two custom settings, where in one its focus and the other its zoom. As a focus lever, it works better than the other manual focus methods.

Very helpful - thanks again -

Steve

Hi Hobbes, the short answer is yes and no. Yes in the sense that I have set the camera to Auto Focus Single (AFS) and no in the sense that the camera is doing what its supposed to do - apparently. I read a review just a few minutes ago and the camera they tested did exactly the same thing. They criticised it for doing that focus shift. The AFS has stopped that, as in that mode once you lock on to a subject, the camera will hold the focus as long as you keep the shutter button half depressed.

Hi Rodger
Ah, I see. Not quite what you were after but I'm glad you can now lock focus. It would drive me a bit nuts if I achieved focus and then the camera suddenly decided to alter it.
All the best
Hobbes

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your interesting comments throughout.

I have just checked out the threshold level of the highlights in your wigeon shots (in PS CS4), and over all of the images I have only come across one or two very small areas of blown out (255) highlights in sunlit water.

The whites on the birds might therefore be considered to be correctly exposed relative to the rest of the scenes as they do technically contain 'detail'. Based on these measurements I don't see that there can be a problem with the camera / metering - if you are suspecting there may be?

It's all down to aesthetics after that. I believe someone mentioned compensating your exposures downwards to cover the highlights. I though find a few pinpricks of light acceptable - or more easily to deal with in post processing, individually, than underexposing the whole image and re-working everything from there.

I thought I'd add some new shots from the FZ200. The hummingbird and heron were photographed in areas near Phoenix Arizona. The Roadrunner was photographed in New Mexico and the gull was shot at Ucluelet on Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

Attachments

• Black Chinned Hummingbird2.JPG
    Black Chinned Hummingbird2.JPG
    281.2 KB · Views: 436
  • Blue Heron.jpg
    Blue Heron.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 408
  • Glaucous Gull.JPG
    Glaucous Gull.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 416
  • Road Runner.JPG
    Road Runner.JPG
    377.8 KB · Views: 412
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back