• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ150 (1 Viewer)

OK, thanks, but is that when its likely to go on sale? or is that when details may be released? I can't find any info so I assume the latter.

A dragon fly taken with the fz150 still getting use to the camara but it seems ok to me :t:

Attachments

• dragon fly  22.JPG
    dragon fly 22.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 143
The dragonfly looks terrific to me Peter. Excellent shot.

With regards to the release of a new FZ series camera. Jmepler is correct 21st July, however last year on that date they only released an update on the FZ40, the FZ150 didn't get a press release until about a month later. There was some speculation that the later release of the FZ150 may have been due to the tsunami, but nobody really knows. Anyway, hopefully this year they will do updates on both cameras on that date. They normally hit the shops one to two months later. I know that in Australia the FZ150 didn't arrive until the 20th October.

Hi, I have been reading this thread and seen some great photos here :) was just wondering, (sorry if this has already been discussed but couldn't spot it , being a long thread) I am looking for a flash for the fz150, I have seen the metz 24 af for panasonic/olympus. Would this work on fz150 properly with ttl? or maybe the metz 36 af? budget is really restricted, so has to be cheap, thanks, jacqui.

The dragonfly looks terrific to me Peter. Excellent shot.

With regards to the release of a new FZ series camera. Jmepler is correct 21st July, however last year on that date they only released an update on the FZ40, the FZ150 didn't get a press release until about a month later. There was some speculation that the later release of the FZ150 may have been due to the tsunami, but nobody really knows. Anyway, hopefully this year they will do updates on both cameras on that date. They normally hit the shops one to two months later. I know that in Australia the FZ150 didn't arrive until the 20th October.
Manual 35 x zoom and GPS would be what would draw me away from my fujis

I noticed this thread was slipping, in favour of the new 200 thread, so, as it slips away into the sunset, I'd just like to say that I am very, very happy with my 150 & feel no desire to even consider the 200. :t:

My shots certainly aren't perfect, but I'm very happy with them & any faults are without question mine & not of the camera's making. I've come to the personal conclusion that this bird photography malarky is more about developing your fieldcraft, training your eye & making the very best of the gear you have, rather than always blaming it & yearning for more expensive gear &/or the latest model. :brains:

So, having got that off my chest, here are three I took recently with my 150.

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• GREAT.TIT.jpg
    GREAT.TIT.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 112
  • ROBIN.jpg
    ROBIN.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 132
  • STARLING.jpg
    STARLING.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 168
I've come to the personal conclusion that this bird photography malarky is more about developing your fieldcraft, training your eye & making the very best of the gear you have, rather than always blaming it & yearning for more expensive gear &/or the latest model. :brains:

Couldn't agree more. I made a choice to jump from superzoom/bridge to DSLR but know people that have jumped the other way or own both (Something i'd like to do in the near future having been impressed with the fz150).
Your starling photo is certainly proof that these newer bridge/superzoom cameras are fit for purpose.

Dick...

your post is very encouraging. I recently started taking pics with a Lumix g1 and the learning curve is so steep (at least it seems so to me), that rather than give up altogether, I decided to just go out and use the camera and do my best to learn more of the technical information along the way.

John

zoom lever durability?

As I had posted in a separate thread, the zoom lever on my camera has a tendency to stick, particularly on the left or wide angle side. It's annoying when zooming, but also when checking crops on pictures already taken.

I have since tried to apply a bit of WD-40 spray, but I doubt the liquid got to where it would help.

i just noticed they bought out an fz200 i am very pleased with my fz 150

Attachments

• P1070827 (2).jpg
    P1070827 (2).jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 97
  • P1080050 (2).jpg
    P1080050 (2).jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 124
  • P1080088 (2).jpg
    P1080088 (2).jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 123
  • P1080249 (2).jpg
    P1080249 (2).jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 79
I just bought an fz150 (for times when I don't want to carry dslr and extra lenses) even though the fz200 is out now, looking at the excellent images on this thread it just didnt seem worth the extra cost. Had it a week now and getting used to the settings, very pleased with it so far.

Recently, I have been finding it more & more difficult to attach & detach the LT55E Tele Lens to my fz150. I tried asking on another thread, if there was anything I could use to safely lubricate the threads & was thinking of trying something dry, like rubbing them with Pencil Lead, but I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not, as for all I know, dust from that may be just as harmful around a camera as oil?

So far, I haven't had any suggestions posted, so I'm beginning to think that perhaps my best option might be to buy a 2nd camera, to compliment my fz150, then I wouldn't need to be constantly screwing the Tele Lens on & off, every time I take it out.

If this is the way to go, I could of course just buy another fz, but were I to go down this road, I feel I'd quite like it to broaden my options a little. So it has been suggested that I check out the Canon SX50. With its 24-1200 mm lens, I'm guessing it'd be on a par with my fz150, when the Tele is fitted. However, I suspect that might just give me a good match, but not really broaden my options any.

Of course I could push the boat right out & go for a Nikon D7000 + Sigma 150-500mm Lens, but that's going to set me back at least 3X as much.

Would anyone care to discuss & perhaps suggest a happy medium between those two options? ;)

Cheers,
Dick

I've had my 150 for awhile but have not done too much with it. Honestly I don't feel up to figuring out all the choices which is sort of a shame. I got it for the 24x zoom and leave it on IA. Is that the best choice? Its set for between T and W cuz I'm not sure what to do with that and AF with the flower symbol. hm. Maybe that should be just straight AF assuming that AF is autofocus and the flower is for closeups.
I'm not stupid just sort of............overwhelmed by all the digital and IT stuff I have to learn all the time. Sort of worn out with the computers at work, the computers at home, phones etc etc.

Recently, I have been finding it more & more difficult to attach & detach the LT55E Tele Lens to my fz150. I tried asking on another thread, if there was anything I could use to safely lubricate the threads & was thinking of trying something dry, like rubbing them with Pencil Lead, but I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not, as for all I know, dust from that may be just as harmful around a camera as oil?

So far, I haven't had any suggestions posted, so I'm beginning to think that perhaps my best option might be to buy a 2nd camera, to compliment my fz150, then I wouldn't need to be constantly screwing the Tele Lens on & off, every time I take it out.

If this is the way to go, I could of course just buy another fz, but were I to go down this road, I feel I'd quite like it to broaden my options a little. So it has been suggested that I check out the Canon SX50. With its 24-1200 mm lens, I'm guessing it'd be on a par with my fz150, when the Tele is fitted. However, I suspect that might just give me a good match, but not really broaden my options any.

Of course I could push the boat right out & go for a Nikon D7000 + Sigma 150-500mm Lens, but that's going to set me back at least 3X as much.

Would anyone care to discuss & perhaps suggest a happy medium between those two options? ;)

Cheers,
Dick

As things stand at the moment in your situation if cost is the issue I would look no further than either the Canon SX50 or now at a bargain price in many places the Canon SX40. I was impressed with the Panasonics two years ago but these days 24x zoom is simply too far behind the Canon.

I have a sx40 for sale if you are interested - good price and hardly used with a spare battery and lens hood, all boxed up and ready to ship as i have been let down on a previous sale :-C

I'm not stupid just sort of............overwhelmed by all the digital and IT stuff I have to learn all the time. Sort of worn out with the computers at work, the computers at home, phones etc etc.

No you not stupid and you are right, cameras nowadays are no more than computers that capture an image. It is more about understanding the concepts of exposure etc rather than the buttons, bells and whistles that come on the bit of plastic in your hand. Go on a very short photography course and you will find the instructor telling you to ignore virtually all the menu items and just concentrate on what is in front of you.

Put the camera on A if Nikon or Av if Canon. Set the aperture and start taking pictures. Watch what the camera does with the speed. Get used to that and then do the same with S or Tv. Build it up slowly yourself then move to Manual. Be wary of some forums where they make all sorts of comments but seem to want the camera to go its limits all the time and then criticise it. Like the rest of us cameras are best when working in the comfort zone. You will have questions but I am sure any photographer worth his/her salt will show you.

Edit: Try this site for explanations.

http://www.digitalbirdphotography.com/cover.html

Last edited:
Ummm used straight 35mm Nikon's years ago and understand basics of fstop, speed etc.from those days.
But with I bridge camera I would say you need to learn all the little weird symbols and how to combine them. Your advice sounds aimed at a digital SLR

and...

Bob: appreciate the link. Am new to photography and there is a lot of information I found helpful. Thanks for posting.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back