• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parakeet, Florida. ID help please (1 Viewer)

Hainan on the fly

I'm pretty sure this is Nanday Parakeet but wanted to confirm and ask a question. Please advise if there is a better place for it. Do birders typically count a sighting of a non-native species such as my bird on a life list? Relatively new and curious.

Thanks,

Brian

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 13
Do birders typically count a sighting of a non-native species such as my bird on a life list? Relatively new and curious.

Thanks,

Brian
This part of your post probably belongs in birds and birding where there has been several threads similar to this topic.

The main listing aid in the US is ebird. Their current treatment of exotic species is to divide them into three groups: Naturalized, provisional, and escapes. The first two of these do count towards your ebird total, the third does not. As far as I know, Nanday Parakeet counts as at least "provisional" in areas around Tampa Bay down to St. Pete, I am unsure in the rest of Florida.

Niels

Like Fern said, the species is a Nanday Parakeet, it's one of about a dozen species of parakeets found throughout Florida and if you want to argue for countable, it is considered an established exotic within the state, so if you want to count it, feel free too. Pretty sure everyone else who's seen one in the state already has.

Do birders typically count a sighting of a non-native species such as my bird on a life list?
Entirely up to you. I would say it's a pretty distinctive, attractive thing and why wouldn't you make a note (I'd also ask "when's the next time you're likely to go to Paraguay to see it in its proper place?"). I wouldn't be too fussed about comparing my list to yours...

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back