• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Park City, UT - June birding (1 Viewer)

jgrnot

Hello everyone,

I have an upcoming trip to Park City, UT. I am aware that there are many trails and lots of moose, but I am very interested in learning if there are any birding hot spots, or if anyone has an ideas on what I should expect to see in the area.

Thank you,
Jgrnot

Hello everyone,

I have an upcoming trip to Park City, UT. I am aware that there are many trails and lots of moose, but I am very interested in learning if there are any birding hot spots, or if anyone has an ideas on what I should expect to see in the area.

Thank you,
Jgrnot

I had no idea Utah has mooses! (meese? moose?)

It looks like Park City is close enough to the SE corner of the Great Salt Lake to include a morning at Antelope Island State Park. I was planning a road trip through there and it sounds like a great place for shorebirds and waterfowl.

There's a boardwalk along the Provo River in Heber City (about 15 minutes from Park City) that is popular with birders. The riparian/wetland habitat along the river, named the Jordanelle Wetlands, attracts a lot of different species including yellow warblers, MacGillivray's warblers, warbling vireos, Bullock's orioles, western tanagers, fox sparrows, yellow-headed blackbirds, rose-breasted grosbeaks, marsh wrens, common yellowthroat and more. Moose are often seen in this area along the boardwalk as well. Not as big as the Alaska brand, but big enough - I've been chased up a tree before.:eek!: This page has a good summer video about Park City as well as info about activities: Park City Summer Activities. Most birds likely to see in the mountain around Park City include mountain chickadees, juncos, ruby-crowned kinglets, white-crowned sparrows, western meadowlarks and horned larks (in the sage flats on the way up) and lots of black-billed magpies around town. Enjoy your trip!

Sonia

Last edited:
Thank you both for your tips. Although we did not see any moose, we saw tons of Western blackbirds, warblers, sandhills, ducks, mink, and a black-tailed deer.

Very cool

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back