• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parus, Poecile and Periparus (1 Viewer)

wintibird

André Weiss
Opus Editor
Just finished some australian families and entering the tits. In the Opus we already have Poecile and Periparus (formerly part of the big genus Parus). Now, Sibley & Monroe and Howard & Moore don't accept this two genera. Clements however does and with him the IOC and the Handbook of the Birds of the World. I guess the new H&M will adapt this genera too.

So, am I on the right way if I don't change them back to Parus and include them in the taxonomy templates?

André

From the top of my head and without checking back to the threads on the Taxonomy forum, I believe that both(?) AOU and BOU (?) have accepted splitting the genus Parus, so I would be surprised if the next H&M doesnt also do that.

Niels

I checked and BOU and AOU have accepted the split. It seems that there is a lot of evidence for it, so I will keep them for the Opus.
Thanks, Niels.

André

Started with the Tits and this family is a real mess. Some species have up to three genera and up to five different names:eek!:
Sorted out everything with our consensus system, using the tie-braker thing several times...

André

Same kind of thing as with Megascops, eh?

Same sort of thing, yes.

I am without internet at home since yesterday, so had to visit my workplace to write this. Monday is the biggest national holiday where I live, so I am not at all sure that the IP actually have been able to get anyone to work on the problem .. may last until wednesday,when hopefully most people recover 8-P

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back