• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pels Fishing Owl (1 Viewer)

Wilkinsonsworld

Wilkinsonsworld - Jane
We tried to get a decent photo of a Pels Fishing Owl at Drotskys in Botswana, but it was a bit far away. Can anyone recommend an area in South Africa where one has a chance of spotting these beautiful birds? Perhaps we will be luckier next time!

I've found Shakawe (just across the border from Namibia) to be one of the easier places for Pel's. The wooded area just upriver from the fishing lodge has had one nesting for years. Also, while not quite in Southern Africa, I've found Liwonde NP in Malawi to be a great place for Pel's.
I know other people have had luck near Pafuri, Kruger and around Mkuze, but I've never managed to see them there.

Cheers,
Benji

PS - The first photo I've attached is from Shakawe, the second from Liwonde.

Attachments

• Pels_Fishing_Owl.jpg
    Pels_Fishing_Owl.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,076
  • Pel's-Fishing-Owl.jpg
    Pel's-Fishing-Owl.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 199
I've found Shakawe (just across the border from Namibia) to be one of the easier places for Pel's. The wooded area just upriver from the fishing lodge has had one nesting for years.

Agreed, this is one of the most reliable spots in the whole sub-continent, and the owners of the lodge will take you out in a boat to see them if need be. I had them perched outside my tent whilst there, as well as along the river.

I've found Shakawe (just across the border from Namibia) to be one of the easier places for Pel's. The wooded area just upriver from the fishing lodge has had one nesting for years. Also, while not quite in Southern Africa, I've found Liwonde NP in Malawi to be a great place for Pel's.
I know other people have had luck near Pafuri, Kruger and around Mkuze, but I've never managed to see them there.

Cheers,
Benji

PS - The first photo I've attached is from Shakawe, the second from Liwonde.

Beautiful photos - now that's what we want to get!!! We're going to Kruger next year so will give it a shot around Pafuri. Thanks for your suggestons.

While I haven't seen Pel's in Kruger, I know quite a few people who have seen them at Pafuri Camp (http://www.pafuri.com). It's operated by Wilderness Safaris and is a bit pricey, but I know people who've seen them flying along the river during dinner. It's also one of the best ways to get to the area while it's dark. My other suggestion would be Pafuri River Lodge which is also amazing but is just outside the park so makes it a bit more difficult to see the Pel's. Either way, I'm sure you'll have a great time!!

Cheers,
Benji

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back