• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine in Panama (1 Viewer)

It’s a jungle out there! We are going to apply for more time in Panama.

Great pictures Sue. Glad you're getting more time in such a great country.

Four weeks until Thailand for us - that is if there isn't all-out revolution by then! It seems every time we go there's something happening there.

That's fantastic to hear about all the nesting activity, I only hope you can manage to keep up with it all! Love reading about what you've seen though. Hope it continues to go well.

Great pictures Sue. Glad you're getting more time in such a great country.

Four weeks until Thailand for us - that is if there isn't all-out revolution by then! It seems every time we go there's something happening there.
The tsunami hit while we were there. I'm sure you will enjoy your visit, you know first hand that the Thais try very hard to keep tourists happy. Are you going back to the same place you went last time?
We are going to try to get as much time here as we can. We haven't even rented a car or gone on any tours yet!
Sue

Last edited:
That's fantastic to hear about all the nesting activity, I only hope you can manage to keep up with it all! Love reading about what you've seen though. Hope it continues to go well.
Thanks, Azzy. I am still taking my walks for seeing new birds but I look in on the nests briefly as I go by. The forest is so beautiful. I told my husband I'm not thrilled with the 'house' he picked out, but the yard is great. Several Aussi sailors have pulled in in the last week. Good to hear that accent again.
Sue

It’s been like birding in a steam bath the last few days. I come back with my shirt glued to my body and my hair plastered to my neck. I saw a Crested Caracara yesterday. The first I’ve seen in Panama. I went to put it on my Panama list and realized I have been so star struck with lifers that I have been listing on my life list only and neglected the Panama list which is all the birds I see, lifer or not. I hadn’t listed Barn Swallow. I don’t think I’ve left off anything else, but not sure. Anyway, a few more birds:
Southern Bentbill 806
Black-striped Sparrow 807
Ruddy Quail-dove 808
Bay-breasted Warbler 809

Attachments

• c. caracara.jpg
    c. caracara.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 85
  • coatimundi and baby.jpg
    coatimundi and baby.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Hi,

Great blog. Visited Panama for a couple of weeks in 2006 and really liked the country - the birding was fantastic at all the places I went to. Even without any guide still managed to see well over 400 species.

If you are sailing back north along the Pacific coast, I would recommend stopping at Isla Coiba National Park. Together with Darien, it is regarded as one the last really wild places in Panama/Central America. It is also regularly cited by divers as one of the most outstanding marine National Parks (Whale Sharks, Manta Rays,..). Good birds here include Scarlet Macaws (common!), Brown-backed Dove and Coiba Spinetail, both of which are endemic taxa. On my day visit here, I stopped off at the ANAM Station at the north end of the island (muddy trail) and took a boat to another trail (Aguas Blancas?) about 10 min south. The area around the abandoned prison is also good for birds. The ANAM Station has some relatively basic accomodation and drinking water.

I remember, Sue.
No - we are off to the far north - near the Laos and Burma borders. Never been anywhere near it before.

H
Sounds good, H. I imagine you'll be adding a few birds to your list and I look forward to your always excellent report.

Hi,

Great blog. Visited Panama for a couple of weeks in 2006 and really liked the country - the birding was fantastic at all the places I went to. Even without any guide still managed to see well over 400 species.

If you are sailing back north along the Pacific coast, I would recommend stopping at Isla Coiba National Park. Together with Darien, it is regarded as one the last really wild places in Panama/Central America. It is also regularly cited by divers as one of the most outstanding marine National Parks (Whale Sharks, Manta Rays,..). Good birds here include Scarlet Macaws (common!), Brown-backed Dove and Coiba Spinetail, both of which are endemic taxa. On my day visit here, I stopped off at the ANAM Station at the north end of the island (muddy trail) and took a boat to another trail (Aguas Blancas?) about 10 min south. The area around the abandoned prison is also good for birds. The ANAM Station has some relatively basic accomodation and drinking water.

Hi PS,
Thanks for all the great information. We plan to stop. There is an anchorage near the ANAM Station. My husband would be thrilled to see a Whale Shark. We are both certified divers but haven't been in years. I prefer to snorkle--just easier. Hopefully the snorkeling would be good too.
Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back