• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phylloscopus, Rajkandi Reserve Forest, Bangladesh, October 2020 (1 Viewer)

Seth Miller

United States
Saw 41 species yesterday morning including a few lifers at Rajkandi Reserve Forest. Yellow-browed were only phylloscopus warblers I IDed at the time (mainly heard them), but I got photos of this individual. Somehow it struck me as being a bit different from most Yellow-browed, but maybe not. Thoughts?

Sorry for the awful quality photos, still getting used to switching settings when the lighting changes rapidly... totally understand if it can't be confidently IDed.

Attachments

• _DSC4167 (2).jpg
    _DSC4167 (2).jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 67
  • _DSC4172 (2).jpg
    _DSC4172 (2).jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 70
  • _DSC4158 (2).jpg
    _DSC4158 (2).jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 63
  • _DSC4159 (3).jpg
    _DSC4159 (3).jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 68
  • _DSC4178 (3).jpg
    _DSC4178 (3).jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 58
It looks to be one of the larger leaf warblers - ( also face pattern not strong enough it seems for eg Pallas’s or eg Lemon-rumped). Legs are too pale for Green/Greenish or Blyth’s imo (image #2). On balance, I tend to agree with YBW or Hume’s on structure (wing length and bill shape) but the bare part colouring, including darkish tip to the orangey bill probably favour YBW. However, I don’t think enough of the bird is visible and given the possibilities for confusion, while nothing would rule out a YBW here, it’s difficult to be 100% sure . Possibly some one with more experience in comparing leaf warblers in India (as well as their specific range) can more confincingly rule out any alternatives for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back