• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pied Wagtails / West Bromwich (1 Viewer)

albional

There is a tweet today asking if anyone saw Pied Wagtails during the televised football match at the Emirates ( Arsenal ground in London ).
By coincidence ( or is it ) I was at the WBA match today and noticed 6/7 Pied Wagtails along with what appeared to be a female Sparrowhawk flying around just above the playing surface during a severe snowstorm.
Presumably the Wagtails attracted by the floodlights and looking for a safe roost and being pursued by the Hawk.
Anyone else seen this type of behaviour or indeed have an explanation.

I have copied this onto the Bird Behaviour forum , any local birders have any ideas ?

ALBIONAl

Hi fellow baggie I also witnessed the Sprawk & Wagtails at the Hawthorns & its not unusual as the natural light fades. During night games I have watched Kestrels hunt various prey at the shrine & even Peregrines have shown a few times Boing Boing :t:B :)

Pied Wagtails at Hawthorns

Hi fellow baggie I also witnessed the Sprawk & Wagtails at the Hawthorns & its not unusual as the natural light fades. During night games I have watched Kestrels hunt various prey at the shrine & even Peregrines have shown a few times Boing Boing :t:B :)

Thanks for the confirmation BAGGIESHEP , pity the football wasn't as entertaining as the birding

Irvine out

Looking Towards Sandwell Valley

Hi Laurie, my seat towards the top of the Smethwick End overlooks the Brummie Road & directly behind that lies Sandwell Valley so any lull in play ;) & its a natural reaction to look up to the skies :smoke: saying that I can be seen looking up at the skies these days on a regular basis for a variety of reasons :C but more fascinating for me was the number of Gulls flying around the floodlights in the swirling snow, no doubt to feed on the pitch after the game had finished B :).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back