• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pileated Woodpecker in Missouri (1 Viewer)

LifeIsGood2

Show-Me Missouri
I got a brief look at a pileated woodpecker and hope to see it tomorrow since it is just across the road from me. As I have mentioned, I am new to birding. I am wondering if anyone would like to comment about the likelihood of seeing the pileated woodpecker again tomorrow. Do they have a wide territory each day. If you know a few things about them, I am interested in hearing it.

I'm no expert, but my sense is, if you are in a pair's territory, your chances of seeing them are okay. I think they will stay in an area, and they are not birds that really hide so much as some, so are a bit easier to see. We had a pair in our neighborhood, and could see them fairly often, though not daily. I think that its usually a pair which hold down a territory, so you might keep an eye out for the mate too. I like this time of year with bare branches - lots of birds are a bit easier to catch a view of.

Have you seen the Pileated again yet?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back