• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Piping Guan? which one(s)? (Pantanal, Brazil) (1 Viewer)

Interesting pictures - Blue-throated is the species you ordinarily get in the Pantanal and the second is a fairly clear one. The others are interesting and are possibly hybrids with Red-throated (which apparently can happen in zones of overlap, according to van Perlo).

Waow...

I have found this photo, classified as a Red-throated: http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/red-th...red-throated-piping-guan-transpantanal-brazil

Which looks like my #3 (white throat with some red and no blue), and make me think this one could be Red-throated.

Then, the #1 could be a hybrid bettween both, as you've suggested, as it as red and blue throat...

What do you think? I don't know the other differences bettween those species... Isn't there an other one that would be similar?

Last edited:
Waow...

I have found this photo, classified as a Red-throated: http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/red-th...red-throated-piping-guan-transpantanal-brazil

Which looks like my #3 (white throat with some red and no blue), and make me think this one could be Red-throated.

Then, the #1 could be a hybrid bettween both, as you've suggested, as it as red and blue throat...

What do you think? I don't know the other differences bettween those species... Isn't there an other one that would be similar?

There seems to be a little bit of blue (quite pale) on the throat of number 3, so I'm not sure really. 1 and 3 could both be integrades between Red and Blue-throated. It's not any other species (Black-fronted has a dark face, which these don't have).

Sorry for the delay... I've been mooving and my HD has burnt...

Very interesting...
It is a pity that I did not find it out when I was there, because there were more of them, and I would have had time to check better all of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back